Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Default air conditioning

can any one tell me what i need to install air conditioning in my civic dx? the air is not broke. the car came factory with out it. i know adding air will rob me of alittle power, but i also know, being in the heat all day every day will make you wish you had air conditioning

Old 09-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: air conditioning

Depending on the model year, you may still be able to buy a complete air conditioning kit from a dealer (one of the discount on-line dealers would save you quite a bit). Or find a parts car and strip all the A/C parts out of it (don't reuse the receiver drier though, buy a new one). Once you have everything bolted on take it to a shop to have the lines evacuated and charged with refrigerant and oil.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:10 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

Depending on the model year, you may still be able to buy a complete air conditioning kit from a dealer (one of the discount on-line dealers would save you quite a bit). Or find a parts car and strip all the A/C parts out of it (don't reuse the receiver drier though, buy a new one). Once you have everything bolted on take it to a shop to have the lines evacuated and charged with refrigerant and oil.
Do you know approximately how much it costs to take it toa shop to have the lines evacuated and charged w/ refrigerant and oil? I have an air conditioner, but all I get out is luke warm air. I always drive with the driver's side window down, but now that winter is around the corner, I obviously won't be even doing that. But, I'd like to know for next spring. Thanks.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Should cost less than $100, you can also buy borrow or rent tools to do it yourself, which will pay for themselves in a relatively few uses.

Lambo, if you have just leaked some out over the years, you can use a gauge manifold (about $80) and a can of R134a to top it up. You don't need the expensive part, the vacuum pump, unless you need to take the system apart. Don't use those really cheap little hoses with a single gauge, you can't tell enough with a single gauge to charge it properly.