Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Air Conditioning Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Default Air Conditioning Upgrades

I have a '94 Civic that just won't die - so why should I kill it?

The air conditioning has gone south - it works if I charge it but then leaks out within a few days.

What's the best, easiest, cheapest way to upgrade / repair the system?

Can I sucessfully find the leak(s) and do repairs - or is that just chasing the tail because something else will show up sooner or later anyway?

Your thoughts much appreciated!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Air Conditioning Upgrades

Do you even need the air conditioning or does your ordinary blower not work on cold and do your windows not go down? If both of the above work fine then personally i'd just remove the air conditioning system as they are heavy and they take power from the engine(even when not turned on) as the engine always has to drive another pully.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:09 PM
HCF Member

Do you even need the air conditioning or does your ordinary blower not work
I don't see how the hell anyone can go without A/C.
Right now it is 92 with 70% humidity, if your blower is blowing hot moist air i wouldn't consider that comfortable or even tolerable

Mine went out when the post the clutch mounts on got bent due to a bad bearing. I ended up having to replace the compressor. You may just have to have it looked at to get an estimate, i could be some lines leading to the condensor but who knows. The compressor is the most expensive part to replace and everyone will recommend an OEM compressor (~$300) but if money is an issue you could get and aftermarket one for about half that.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if yours leaks out so fast.... easiest way would be take off every conection and replace the Orings. ya might luck out and thats all thats leaking is a oring thats a simple swap out and then recharge the system.... and this time use some of that LEAK DETECTING STUFF along with some OIL and stop leak..... if ya luck out you wont need a new compressor or condensor or what not.... or even the lines....

its not to difficult really... dont kill your car because the AC stoped working.LOL thats just about as stupid as people trying to blow up there motors because they want a motor swap.... which i think is funny because some of them just dont want to die under the worst torcher ever! LOL

i dont see why people trashing a car is better than selling the good parts to recoupe some cash.LOL

Old 05-09-2008, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

fair play man i couldn't o guessed at the humidity being that high,lol.