HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   B16a2 swap help (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/b16a2-swap-help-10805/)

Kappa22 09-30-2005 02:30 AM

RE: B16a2 swap help

Many, many times.

sacicons 09-30-2005 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: joepops

has anyone swaped for a b16 before? or a swap in general? what are some of your guys stories...?
replace as much stuff as you can while the motors on the ground. put in a new timing belt and water pump, and a new clutch and maybe a flywheel. heck, even a new thermostat, and drop in a better radiator. its fairly straightforward, but the wiring can be a pain.

Kappa22 09-30-2005 11:43 AM

In the past, I have generally gone all out for engine swaps, just to give them the best possible longetivity. Rings, bearings, HG, cam/crank seals, pan gasket... and all the stuff sacs mentioned.

joepops 09-30-2005 12:25 PM

what about getting your engines to pass smog and emissions testing? I know it is different in differents states and stuff but is it pretty much more difficult when you wish to swap a newer engine into an older vehicle? I am thinking about ECu codes and stuff? how long was the swap process....a day or two?

Nail I3unny 09-30-2005 06:11 PM

k im popping in with my own quick question...is it easier to install a turbo before you put the engine in and deal with the tighter fit on putting in the engine or easier to install the turbo while the engines in the car?

joepops 10-01-2005 12:14 AM

I would assume so but you know what they mean for when you assume....any mods have some answers??

Kappa22 10-01-2005 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: joepops

what about getting your engines to pass smog and emissions testing? I know it is different in differents states and stuff but is it pretty much more difficult when you wish to swap a newer engine into an older vehicle? I am thinking about ECu codes and stuff? how long was the swap process....a day or two?
Well, I live in Washington, and as long as you swap the correct ECU (or, for ZCs, 4G63's, and some other JDM engines, even the JDM ones work) you'll pass smog no problem. But we don't have mandatory smog testing, so "don't ask, don't tell" seems to be a prevailing viewpoint.

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

k im popping in with my own quick question...is it easier to install a turbo before you put the engine in and deal with the tighter fit on putting in the engine or easier to install the turbo while the engines in the car?
I've never put a turbo on a Civ engine when it was out of the car. You can do the basic stuff with the engine out (tap the pan, run oil lines, bolt up the turbo and manny, and maybe run the charge pipe) but that's about it, since most of the rest of the stuff connects to something else.

joepops 10-02-2005 02:52 AM

hey Kappa great info what about engine mounts and stuff? If the engine is about the same gen then it should pretty much just fit right in no?

sacicons 10-02-2005 03:48 AM

just use the 94-01 integra mounts, with a 99-00 si or 94-whatever DOHC VTEC Del Sol mount for the AC mount.

Kappa22 10-02-2005 08:55 PM

What he said...

I do what I can, but everybody knows sacs is the authority around here... :D