Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Best oil & filter for a stock y8 and spirited driving?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:48 PM
HCF Member
Default Best oil & filter for a stock y8 and spirited driving?

I just recently dropped a '00 y8 in my '96 Si with about 85,000 km's on it. I couldn't use the '95 D15b I picked up before this (long story...). Luckily I found a y8. Thanks Mike

My original had <251,000 km before I spun a rod bearing and smoked the block. I was getting a low oil light pretty consistently between 4000 and 5000 km's, right before each oil change. Guess what it was almost time for....

I was using Quaker State 5W30 Higher Mileage oil, but realize that given the high km's and oil burning of my motor, I probably should have used a higher grade like 10W30. Oh well... Live and learn.
With the exception of a cone intake, my motor is stock. I definitely enjoy opening it up for some spirited driving, but this is what lead to me blowing up my motor in the first place (reving to high in 4th....). Seeing as how I don't want to re-live that experience, and after doing some reading through some searches, I was hoping to get some advice on what type of oil and filter I should be using to help prolong the life of my motor.

I know, I know... Don't beat up on my engine so much, but sometimes I just can't help myself...

So.... Synthetic vs dino? What manufacturer? Is one oil filter better than another? What would you suggest for a stock D16y8 and an enthusiastic driver?

Curlybandit

Old 01-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Default RE: Best oil & filter for a stock y8 and spirited driving?

Synthetic is a lot better, use it. The only time I would use dino is during engine break in, and that's just because everyone else says to use it then. I'm not convinced that synthetic wouldn't be fine then either though. If you do decide to forgo the cost of synthetic, go with 10W-30 dino instead of 5. However with synthetic I prefer to use 5W, as it's not a problem with synthetic. I can explain that more later.

Quaker State is crap. You can find charts comparing oils around the internet. Amsoil is great, Mobile 1 is good, and I believe Valvoline is good also (for synthetics). Castrol GTX is an average dino also.

Some filters are better than others. I would only use OEM or Wix.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM
HCF Member

OEM oil and OEM filter. And your thinking that revving above 4K damaged your engine is wrong. As long as your oil is fine, anything up to redline is OK.
BTW, higher grade oil does not mean 10W versus 5W. This first number before W just indicates viscosity when oil is cold, in other words howeasy engine will start in the winter. And nothing else.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Personally I use only Mobile 1 or Penzoil Platinum 5W30which both run great it all my cars ive owned. I also havehad the best experience with pure one oil filters.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Misha

OEM oil and OEM filter. And your thinking that revving above 4K damaged your engine is wrong. As long as your oil is fine, anything up to redline is OK.
BTW, higher grade oil does not mean 10W versus 5W. This first number before W just indicates viscosity when oil is cold, in other words howeasy engine will start in the winter. And nothing else.
He said 4th gear not 4k rpm

Old 01-04-2007, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

My bad []

Old 01-04-2007, 03:24 PM

I've never heard of Honda OEM oil, nor have I seen a place to buy it online.

:edit: Except for lawnmowers.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:26 PM
HCF Member

mobil one and a honda filter, and they don't make a 1996 si

Old 01-04-2007, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

I've never heard of Honda OEM oil, nor have I seen a place to buy it online.

:edit: Except for lawnmowers.
I buy it at the nearest stealership ( ~ 1.5miles ) for my 03 Si lawnmower

Actually, if you read the fine print it's Mobil 1, but it says it's specifically formulated for Honda...

Old 01-04-2007, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

Royal Purple oil and a K&N oil filter that is what i use and swear by it

Quick Reply: Best oil & filter for a stock y8 and spirited driving?