HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Big Block with Big H (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/big-block-big-h-91175/)

Newbie2000ex 11-10-2011 01:20 PM

zerojett- i completely agree! a g23 is ideal from every aspect, accept i havent read anything about there reliability. I don't wanna put $5000 into a motor and trany to find out its only gunna last 50k miles. I would love a G23 build, no doubt. But i need to look at all angles.
cvcrcr- This is exact reason I'm doing this research. I'm not going to do anything but stack dough untill I figure out everything.
HELL, I'm not ruling out a K series swap. It just depends on the costs of everything.
A K24 bottom end with a fully build K20 up top would be amazing! But I know even less about k motors than f/h motors. Thats really the whole reason for this build! Figure out something I know nothing about, and make it perform at extreme levels!
I just know I want to beable to smoke most performance cars on the road, Stang GTs, Camaros, Evos, STi's, ect. a Light chassis, atleast 2.2 Liter motor, dohc, and vtec/ivtec.
So more reading and poking around in other forums til i figure it out!

Newbie2000ex 11-10-2011 01:57 PM

but by the way..
does anyone know if i could just take the type r gears out and plug them into an f or h trans?
i figured not, hence the whole reason for an h2b kit but it would be good to know! xD

cvcrcr99 11-10-2011 04:18 PM

I seriously doubt that is possible.

Shandles 11-10-2011 09:37 PM

....its not.

Newbie2000ex 11-11-2011 10:49 AM

Yea I kinda figured that much. WOULDA BEEN NICE! lol
After doing more research, I'm back to a G23 build. I figure if I just replace damn near everything, the build should have no reliability factors. ^.^

I've made a huge list of parts and prices and all that jazz. I'll upload some more info later. But I'm deffinitly spending over $10,000 from the looks of things, including car costs.

Shandles 11-11-2011 10:36 PM

If you plan on spending that much, don't use k pistons. They're not meant to have the sideloading on the side of the piston that your G23 engine will put it on, and they will more than likely fail. I would sleeve the H block. Its not as expensive as everyone thinks, and it would be a hell of a lot more reliable than the G. Just my .02

Newbie2000ex 11-15-2011 02:01 PM

ive pretty much ruled g series out thanks to that reliability thing everyone keeps talking about lol.
ive pretty much came to the conclusion that the only way i'm going to make the power that i want to make for the price i wanna spend, a k series is the best way to go about it... it seems like theres a much bigger market for k swaps in eg's and theyre not nearly as expensive as i remember them being when they came out all those years ago... ON TOP of everything, brian crower and a few other big names have billet stroker kits for the k24- to "k26-27".
A 2.6 LITER DOHC WITH iVTEC VTC and a 6 speed in a 2000lb car!? sounds good to me... expensive, but good. i'll prolly build a k20a2, then swap the bottom half of a k24 over to it when i the dough starts to roll in. xD maybe some spray later??
either that or build the k20's bottom end to withstand some boost...
so in short, SO LONG FRANKENSTEIN! HELLOOOO BEAUTIFUL!
~newbie

Shandles 11-16-2011 08:49 AM

reliability is always a factor when making big power with these little engines. K series transmissions are known to fail after making over 300. And the parts to fix them are insanely expensive. Honestly, if I were you, I'd sleeve an H22 (bore it out if you want, make it an h23) then get an H2B kit with a nice Type R transmission. This way, you'll have iron sleeves that can take forged pistons, and you'll have a reliable transmission. If the tranny does break, it won't cost you an arm and a leg to fix it.

I dunno how much a K swap costs these days, but I do know that a K-pro alone is a grand.

If you built the sleeved H2B I'm talking about, you're looking at:
1. H22 for 2-300
2. sleeved for anywhere between 500-1000
3.H2B kit is about a grand with mounts
4. tranny is about a grand for a type-R
5. couple hours dyno tuning $500

You're lookin at about 4 grand to have a reliable, 2.3 vtec that you could throw nitrous at all day. Now, I know there are a few things I'm missing... like an ecu, hondata, conversion wiring kit, and probably other things. But I'm pretty sure that a K series engine and tranny alone are going to cost you around 3-4 G's and thats not including the K-pro and tons of other little things. Plus, they are harder to tune and will probably cost you more to do so.

BUT, you also have to remember that i-vtec > vtec (they make power WAY earlier in the powerband)

so its really up to you, and how much money you have to spend. You make it seem as though you have plenty. Just remember, anything over 300hp in a FWD car on the street is almost pointless. Traction OWNS you.

Newbie2000ex 11-17-2011 10:07 AM

i didnt wanna spend over 15 grand. basicly spending over 10-12 is pointless in a honda when you can buy an evo for the same price and not do any work to it plus have awd. thats the issue im having with the k swap. while a nice k swap would run about 15 for car cost, swap stuff, engine, trans, and a fully built skunk2 head, i could spend the same amount on an evo, an Sti, or as you said, spend under 10 on an h22 swap. and as you summed up the statement, tractions a bi%ch over 300-350, where an Evo or an sti.. well what do i need to really say. I change my mind 3 times a day now about what i want to do, i reeeally want a k series because ive seen what they do and its nasty!
i reeeally want a turbo car and awd is awesome, and i promise this is the last time ill say it, an Evo is just a crazy street car.
but i dont WANT to spend over 10k, it just seems like i'm going to have to, to go as fast as i want to! lol

I'll let this thread die so you guys stop getting email notification, mostly because im so indesicive at this point. when i figure things out ill bring it back to life... if its got a Big H on it that is! hah

cvcrcr99 11-17-2011 11:40 AM

No E-mails for me. I can't stand that nonsense ;)

If everyone had the same mentality as you, everyone would have an EVO or WRX. Hell I bet I have spent well over $20k since I started playing with cars. I only have a H22 swap in my Civic nowadays. But looking back through all the changes the cars (I've owned) have gone through and the knowledge I learned through the entire process is worth more than anything else.

I have friends who consider me to be the mechanic in the group and they ask me for help all the time with their cars. LOL I hate telling them that I don't want to touch it unless it is a Honda/Acura, and if it isn't not a Civic/Integra, I am just using general car knowledge. :D

Otherwise, I could have driven a beater 89 Accord (1st car) did nothing to it and just saved money and bought a stock EVO and would never have money to mod it. I'll continue with what I am doing since the knowledge and experience gained is worth more IMO. If anything breaks on the car, I have the know how to troubleshoot and fix the issues (...usually haha).

IMO, just make up a plan, a HP goal and go for it. Don't look back. Especially with the way you are bouncing around between ideas and the fact that you are already expecting to pay a sh!t load of money anyways. I would rather have a fully modded Honda (that is quick too), than a stock used EVO that has probably been beaten to crap by previous owners.