Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Building a d15b7

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Default Building a d15b7

So after much reading and talking to friends of mine, I'm now considering getting a 92-95 DX and just building the stock engine with $2500 (or, if I can find one for a reasonable price, an EX). My goal is to get over 200 whp and still have a daily driver, and if I found an EX, my budget would most likely be around $1500. Is this feasible at all? I know that a turbo is pretty much, if not definitely, the only way to get there. Also, if I do a rebuild, is mileage an issue anymore? (I still need to buy the car...) If this is NOT feasible, I'm still open to ideas as I have yet to buy anything at all :-p I just want to know what I'm going to be doing once I get there. Thanks for the help ^_^

Old 05-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Default RE: Building a d15b7

have you got any where on this. i am new here. and i have a 95 lx with the d15b7. and im not sure what to do with it. or if i would be better of with a vtec. this is a dd so im not looking to get crazy.
thanks

Old 05-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Not yet, I'm still waiting for someone to respond to one of my posts >_>

Old 05-20-2006, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

well i too got a d series d15b7 to be exact... its in a 94 dx. Theres a couple things you could do... search on here. with the search thingy at the top. It helped me out a ton. OR you can try to search something on google... chances are this is one of the best places to find info. If your wanting to go vtec with your d series.... then you can do a "mini me" swap found here:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_45390/tm.htm This link helped me out the most.

OR you can search and try to just find a whole engine to swap. keep in mind though "speed is money"

Old 05-21-2006, 12:00 PM
HCF Member

the b7 can be pretty quick if you know what to do. you could do a mini-me and a turbo and youd get there no problem. you could do a turbo and an exhaust and be there too. 200whp isnt all that hard to hit. search around the forum a bit.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:09 PM
HCF Member

B7 mini-me. Sweet.

Where are you located, Chips? I have an Ex for sale. $1728.23 and it's yours. I'm in Louisiana.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:41 PM

Grr, why are all the good deals on the other side of the country >_< I'm in So Cal for the summer, before I go back to NM for school ;_; Otherwise I would love to have a look at that car, Sniper.

Mini me my b7, eh? I thought I read here and there that turboing with a vtec isnt as easy as without, because you have computer issues to deal with. Is that true at all? If so, I think I would rather go with the turbo and exhaust. And I have done a great deal of reading on this site in regards to what I plan to do, I'm really just looking for opinions at this point. Something to help me figure out what I want to do.

What I've been thinking is rebuild the engine for turbo, slap that turbo on, and do full header-back exhaust. My problem lies in that I don't know if I can do this on a $2500 budget. This is where you guys come in: can I do it, what do I need to buy, how much and from where? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, and I'll keep searching the forums for other ideas.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:59 PM
HCF Member

$2500 = 200whp.

Vtec is just a little harder to tune, and the computer issues may be referring to OBD2.

My suggestion? Rebuild ($350), mini-me($400), and that leaves you $1750 to find a used kit, or piece together a HomeMadeTurbo.com

Ebay and forum classifieds are your friend.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:13 PM

Awesome, that's exactly the kind of post I've been looking for! I'll definitely consider that, but I still want some other opinions. Many thanks, Sniper

Old 05-21-2006, 09:00 PM

Few quick questions that arose: First, where did you get that price for the rebuild. As in, break it down for me piece by piece (mainly so I can let my friends who are helping me know). Second, would an ebay catback bolt straight on to the turbo, or would we need to modify/fab some pieces to make it fit right? Third, what are some trusted companies/brands for exhaust, turbos and the like? I know Greddy is good stuff and I've seen Tsudo tossed around a bit. Again, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Building a d15b7