Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Buy an engine or rebuild mine

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Default Buy an engine or rebuild mine

Hey guys, I am looking to get some great horsepower out of my 96 civic ex, and I don't know what is the most economical way, but the most power. I like the Mr. Gasket GX20, but that is alot of money. I have a d16y8 now, and don't know if my M/T will bolt up to that block, and furthermore, could I possibly get around 230 hp and around 190 ft./lbs. torque with my block without spending 6 grand. I was also wondering if anyone knew of a good place to order an engine from that is affordable but yet reliable. I want it to be my daily driver, but I also want to kick some @$$ on the street. I am open for any suggestions.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:15 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Buy an engine or rebuild mine

H22

Unless you want to boost the D, but 230 would be pushing it on the stock internals, and you aren't gonna get that kind of torque from 230Hp.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:49 PM

once i get all mine done this summer i will get my dyno and track time to see how much power can be had at the wheels from a b18c1 with a supercharger.. if JR site is correct though it shows 220.. not sure is this is crank power or at the wheels though..my cost will be at around 7k though..

but 230 is a bit high for under 6k.. alot of other parts have to be beefed up with engine.. which is where my extra costs come into play..mine is on a swap but even if u build up ur stock engine.. motor mounts/axles/trans/internals.. same issues with boost.. plus with boosting that high from what i have seen you will be needing to add several other aftermarket parts that will cost.. fuel system/ecu

Old 03-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

slap a turbo kit on your motor, some arp head studs and get it tuned. You can make around 200whp and be safe all year long

Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
HCF Member

N/A H22 build if you want those torque numbers on that HP.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:00 PM

On the subject of rebuilding mine, do they make a quality kit to do it, or are they all mix and match. I want to get my compression around 10:1, 11.5:1 would be great, but I might want to add a little boost later so I shouldn't go too high. I would like to get a reliable kit, and furtermore, I want to be price concious. I have a limited budget, so I am trying to find the best bang for the buck. I also have some head questions, like can I go DOHC, or is it even worth it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Cat Fuсker

In order to go DOHC you'll need to swap

Old 04-04-2006, 06:23 PM

So the rumor of putting a DOHC head on my block is B.S. I thought so, but it never hurts to ask. I found some nice SRP pistons at 75.5mm. What do you guys think of these. I want to run eagle rods with it, or maybe even some crower. I don't know if I should go with a new crank, or just go with mine. When swapping engines, like say my y8 to an H-22a, what all would that entail, other than axles, mounts, and linkages/cables. I mean, how hard is it to actually do, and do you have to modify your title to salvage, and would it make emissions harder since I live in Colorado? These are all questions that I have that I want to get answered before I do anything drastic. I atleast want to rebuild with better pistons and rods, get a valvejob, port, polish, and turbo. But I wanted to know what kind of things I should look for, and watch out for in brands and pricing. Thanks for all the advice so far

Old 04-04-2006, 06:59 PM

Got NOS?

Old 04-06-2006, 03:29 PM

Not a huge N.O.S. fan. Nitrous is just a little too volitile to me. Don't ask me why, I have always been like that. Don't get me wrong, it is the only way to go other than turbo for inexpensive power. But with NOS you need to beef up way to much stuff to make it reliable

Quick Reply: Buy an engine or rebuild mine