Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

can i cam up a d15b7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 AM
HCF Member
Default can i cam up a d15b7?

is this possible? what are the gains? and is this something i can do myself???

Old 02-11-2008, 04:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: can i cam up a d15b7?

come on

Old 02-11-2008, 05:57 PM
HCF Member

Yes it is possible, I've done it with my d15b7. If your lucky you can find a Nippo Racing cam on ebay, instead of getting a regrind. Nippo camsare for the ZC engine, butI did research and a ZC is just a japanese d16a6 engine, and a d16a6 cam will interchange witha d15b7s.I don't know how good the regrinds are but it'll take your car out of comission for about 2 weeks waiting on parts.

As for gains, I don't know about that yet. I put mine in this winter so I haven't been able to see. This spring/summer I'll know because I'm suppose to be going up against a Bmw 325i. I know it bumps your gas mileage down a bit.

As for doing it yourself, it just depends on how good you are with cars. I thought it was pretty simple for me. You just take valve cover off, rocker arms, dizzy, then the timing gear. Be sure not to take the timing gear out or move it a tooth cause your timing will get messed up and it won't run right. Or you can mark it and the belt and take it out. Take the old cam out and lube the other one up with some industral grease and put it in, then put the timing gear back on, then dizzy, then rocker arms. Be sure to adjust the rockers, if I remember it's .008 on exhaust, and .010 on intake. Be sure it's that though because if not you won't get your performance, best way to find it is by going to your local library and looking in the big manual for it. Make sure they're tight when you have them adjusted or they'll come loose. Then put the valve cover back on. Be sure to reset your computer by taking off the negitive cable and turning everything on and off making sure you get all the juice out of the system then connect it back up. Be sure to give it a little break in time, and the computer takes about 500 miles or something to reprogram to the cam.

Good luck on trying to find a cam, and putting it in.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if you got the money get a bisimoto cam. theres a couple companys out there that will do a regrind

Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM
HCF Member

Hmm.. Are bisimoto cams pretty good? I know I looked at them but then found what I have right now.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

Hmm.. Are bisimoto cams pretty good? I know I looked at them but then found what I have right now.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

wow,thanks for the reply bro. very helpful so i can cam the sucker. lol sad it's just one. anyways why would my car be out of service for 2 weeks? isn't it just a take out the old put in the new type of thing?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Sorry for the double post, anyway to answer your question, if you got it reground it'd be out for two weeks, because you have to take your cam out, send it in, wait for them to grind it, then send back to you, and put it back in. I personally think it's better to find on that's already made, then if you want send your old one in to be reground, which i've thought of doing.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:38 AM
HCF Member

whoa, i'm confused. my plan was to buy one take out old put in new, i didn't know i have to send (or could send) my old one to get grinded

Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

thin gto do is buy a d15b7 used cam for $10 bucks and ship it off so you still have your cam in your car and dont have hardly any down time. its really easy to pop in a cam if you have a chilton or some kind of guide. biggest thing will be getting it lined up right and adjusting the valve lash

Quick Reply: can i cam up a d15b7?