Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Default Cold air intake

Im looking for an cold air intake is it true it increases the mpg and the hp?? is it a noticable difference or not really? also whats the best brand and any1 know a cheap place to buy??? also any other upgrades i can do under $200 that increases torque or hp and gets me better mpg?

Old 09-13-2008, 11:57 AM
HCF Member

technically intake, exhaust, and/or header (I/H/E) increases your mpg as well as performance. i say "technically" because whether you see those gains depends on how you drive. most people (myself included) drive in a bit more "spirited" manner when they install those mods and this can negate any gains you will see or even cause you to get lower mpg. But when I baby my car now gas wise (with a AEM short ram intake) and compare it to when I didn't have the intake I see a 1-2mpg raise in my combined driving (might be higher if I had the complete I/H/E). However most of the time it's about the same or 1-2mpg lower because of how I drive now that I have a short shifter; makes those quick high rpm shifts much more fun ya know

Old 09-13-2008, 02:20 PM
HCF Member

It technically does increaseyour gas mileage, most noticeably your highway gas mileage because you have more horsepower to maintain a speed, which means you can maintain the speed with less effort, or less gas.

If you're looking to buy a CAI, I recommend one made by Injen.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 PM

would one from injen be alot better than other manufacturers? why is that $60 more than the others?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

Here is a list of the good manufacteres:

- Injen
- HKS
- AEM
- G-reddy
- Blitz

just get the cheapest one of that list.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by sittinSideways
It technically does increaseyour gas mileage, most noticeably your highway gas mileage because you have more horsepower to maintain a speed, which means you can maintain the speed with less effort, or less gas.
the way you gain horsepower is that the engine can more quickly take in air, burn the gas, and get the air our. Typically, the quicker you can burn the gas (without pre-detonation), the more horsepower you have.

Therefore, usually the more horsepower, the less the gas mileage. But if you do bolt on mods that allow the engine to breathe with less effort, the HP can be used efficiently and your gas mileage will increase.

But with bolt on mods the reason you also gain gas mileage is because the engine can breathe better. The Intake is a vacuum, and it takes the engine's effort to suck in air. If you take off the restrictive stock intake setup and replace it with a better-flowing intake, you gain HP and MPG because the engine takes less effort to suck in the air. Same goes for header, exhaust, and cat.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 09-14-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Thank u for all the help!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 AM

I am getting ready to install an AEM CAI. Does anyone have any experience installing one on a 8th generation Civic LX? Per the instructions I may need to trim the rubber wheel well protector to get it in place. I'm looking for any suggestions before I get started.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Fallscity
I am getting ready to install an AEM CAI. Does anyone have any experience installing one on a 8th generation Civic LX? Per the instructions I may need to trim the rubber wheel well protector to get it in place. I'm looking for any suggestions before I get started.
try to find an online guide with pictures, or use a guide made for another car in conjunction with the guide that comes with it. if you cant find a guide for your car specifically, than check out newcelica.org and click on installs, and then go over to the install guide

Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

Goto K&N and look up the install guide for one of there CAI it's the exact same for all other CAI to an extent. It worked for me at least, but i also have a 6th gen, but I'm sure you can find one for your 8th.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake