Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Compression Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Compression Test

I went to advance auto on my way to work to pick up some anti-seize compound and a in-lbs torque wrench that I will need then while I was there I ask them and they said I probably need it. So when I compair the spark plug to the adapter the threads should be about the same lenth and pitch correct? I know I am probably making this harder than it needs to be but I just don't want to **** anything up my first time inthe engine bay.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

ya the adapter threads should look the same as the bottom of the spark plug.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:47 AM
HCF Member

You guys do the test with the remaining spark plugs in besides the cylinder you are testing?

If you take out all the spark plugs and boots it will make the engine alot easier to turn and crank. Thats the way i was taught and it's the way i've always done it. but if it works out fine for you than i am not here to bash on ya's.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ive always done it one plug at a time... cause thats the way the motor runs

Old 09-02-2007, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

Ok I did the test today. I took out all the plugs at the same time and put them together on a paper towl with numbers under them so I know what cyl they came from so I could but them back in the same ones. I also just pulled the ecm fuse and it worked fine. Here are my test results:

Dry:
cyl 1 - 195
cyl 2 - 200
cyl 3 - 195
cyl 4 - 205

Wet:
cyl 1 - 195
cyl 2 - 205
cyl 3 - 210
cyl 4 - 210

They seem kind of high, I thought it should be around 180-190 on a good engine? Do I have some carbon build up? Also, I knew I was losing some oil very slowly so I think the wet test shows that my pistons rings are the reason. Gah... no nitrous for me I guess.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

we;; i cannt remember what my civics compression was but it was around 200... sounds like a good motor still....

all motors burn alitle bit of oil weither you see it or not... with every stroke thiers oil layer on the cylinder walls that is exposed to the ignition which burns it off... just as long as thiers no puffs of smoke out the tailpipe it should be fine...

tho i dont have my civics chiltons book on me... but im sure someone can post what the presure should be... i cannt remember off my head...

but still sounds like you have a good motors cause the pressures are all within range.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:52 PM
HCF Member

Well from the dry to wet test cyl 3 went up 15 psi so I think my engine still has a while before I have any problems with it but I don't know if I want to run the 50 shot from a direct port or not. I have to add almost a quart of oil every 4 or 5 months but my exhaust is still completly colorless. btw I did not use that long reach adapter but I think I could have and not had a problem. Really I think I have 3 choices of what I want to do. I don't see the point of doing motor past i/h/e work unless you are going to go all out. I either want to get a new header and exhaust then a 50 shot, all motor d16 with stage 3 cam and high compression pistons... and maybe a v2 trying for like 155whp, or all motor h22 with stage 3 cams and itb's [sm=icon_rock.gif]. Of course the first option is what I am shooting for first because I do know how to do that already... theother twowould probably be like after college for me to be able to do them because of two reasons... money and I want to do the work myself so I got a lot of research to do before that.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you are changing your oil right
or ya just dont drive it much
i typicaly loose about 1/2-1quart between oil changes.

but pressure doesnt sound to bad BUT id ask the nitros gods... cause ive never done nos....
but my old 95trucks compression changed by about 30psi.LOL now it did burn quite a bit of oil and smoked JUST ALITTLE but still only when i reved the motor up hard and when first starting up alittle. tho motor was alittle doggy.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

I'm due for an oil change. It's been a while. Which btw really pisses me of because my dad gets pissed when I ask him if I can change the oil because he thinks that people only say every 3k miles because they want to sell more oil. So yea I'm on about 7k miles right now and he is finally leting me do it. Another reason why I'm scared of using nitrous because of the way he makes me treat my engine. I mostly drive it from my house to the bus stop which is about 1/4 mile away in the morning then back and forth to work and that is 15-20mins but I just started so I havn't done that much. I have only put that 7k on my car since I got it 2 years ago.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

Gotta love the oldfolks, eh. I remember years ago my dad used to give me **** about what i did to my truck or car, but now i'm an auto tech so he knows i have the knowledge to go with my plans. Plus i do some work to his suburbans too, so he never bothers me.

1 quart between oil changes is average. Some oil gets burned off and some gets lost in the top-end of your motor. It is just the way she goes.
Based on your compression test i would say your rings are fine. I would use some seafoam or run some water through your vacuum lines to clean the carbon out and get another reading. but based on the tests, your rings and valves seem in working order. As ong as there isn't a difference of 10% between cylinders you have nadda to worry about.

Quick Reply: Compression Test