Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

CRX Si N.A. Power... Any Ideas??!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM
HCF Member
Default CRX Si N.A. Power... Any Ideas??!?!?!

Alright, here's what's up. I have a 1990 CRX Si, A6 block, pistons, crank, etc. Then it has a Z6 head, cam, dizzy, P28 ECU (not yet chipped, but will be soooooon.) Other than that, an upgraded fuel pump and I/H/E treatment are about it... for the engine. I have ebay slotted and drilled rotors, Friction Masters ceramic pads, (front and rear) aftermarket shocks and neuspeed springs with a SMALL drop. I've replaced the electric sunroof and all that metal with a piece of smoked lexan that's just siloconed in, no spare tire, no jack, tiny *** sound system, 15" fairly light alloy wheels, and a carbon hood. The car has NO rust, striaght body, and looks pretty decent. BUUUUUUT!!!

It needs to be faster. I'd prefer to use mostly Honda parts, (maybe Y8 parts) I'd also like to not swap the engine and keep it N.A. That being said, my ideas are maybe a Skunk2 Pro Intake Manifold and a decent camshaft of some sort... any other ideas would be a HUGE help, and make me a happy guy. If you read this far, good job, and thanks!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

I guess just disregard this post... I didn't see that sticky up there earlier^^^^ duh.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
HCF Member

Get a good cam, port the head and get a good tune. If you have the cash flow build the motor.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:31 PM

what kind of chip were you thinking of getting?

i want to make sure that you don't get duped.

Also, Skunk2 intake manifolds suck. I've heard of the bolt holes not being there or correct for all the sensors and such. Go with an Edelbrock performerX. It's a way better quality product and Edelbrock specializes in manifolds.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

Thanks, Trust... I guess I'll go for the Edelbrock... And I'm going to chip a P28 myslef... I'm a frairly mechanically inclined individual, and am currently competing my sophomore year for electro-mechanical engineering.... So if I can't even chip a P28, I think I'm in the wrong program... Then it'll get dyno cromed by my buddy Luke at Beyond Redline Performance... All should go well... If you strongly disagree with the idea of me chipping my own ECU, what are my other cost-effective options?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 PM

Chipping your own ECU is the way to go if you are good at soldering. The solder points are very small and intricate, so be very careful and don't attempt to do it if you're not comfortable soldering on tiny solder points.

You can actually buy a kit with everything you need for $35 or something like that. And, it'll come with a basemap tuned to the specs you instruct. Then you can drive on the basemap down to get it tuned or drive around on the basemap for a few weeks if you need to.

buy here: http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...chip-p-59.html

instructions:

Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
HCF Member

Dude, monsterous post. I was looking for a post with exactly that. Thank you very much sir. Thanks for the info on the site too!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 PM
HCF Member

OOOOK... I've looked around quite a bit, and have decided on the Edelbrock PerformerX Manifold, Skunk2 Tuner Series Camshaft, a Skunk2 Tuner Series Cam-Gear, Skunk2 68mm Billett Throttle Body, and Skunk2 Tuner Series Valve Springs... I think that will be a decent start for a NA CRX... Stock pistons too, so I can go turbo some day if I really feel like it...

Old 04-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by macchu43
OOOOK... I've looked around quite a bit, and have decided on the Edelbrock PerformerX Manifold, Skunk2 Tuner Series Camshaft, a Skunk2 Tuner Series Cam-Gear, Skunk2 68mm Billett Throttle Body, and Skunk2 Tuner Series Valve Springs... I think that will be a decent start for a NA CRX... Stock pistons too, so I can go turbo some day if I really feel like it...
I'm curious as to why you want the cam gear. Why? Kinda a waste of money.

Don't forget new valve spring retainers.

Also, if you're gonna replace the pistons with new OEM ones, you should look into replacing the rods with some eagle rods for example, and arp rod bolts, and some arp head studs. This will make your engine stronger as in more durable.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

Well... I was just told that the adjustable cam gear was pretty important to tuning... Then, while at BRL today I was told the same thing you say. That it's a waste of money. So scratch the cam gear... The engine was rebuilt like 8K ago, so I'm not really too interested in building the bottom end as of right now, since I just spent money doing that like 6 months ago... I kinda want to go with some pistons that will give me higher compression... like MAYBE some PG6's, but I know that would give me super high compression ratio, and probably bring out some major valve clearance issues. So like I said... I think I'll leave the bottom end alone. for now...

Quick Reply: CRX Si N.A. Power... Any Ideas??!?!?!