Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

d15b7 mini-me

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 09:21 PM
HCF Member
Default d15b7 mini-me

I am doing a mini me swap w/ a d16z6 head I am aware of some needs however I do not know of any sites with easy to find internals. d16a1 Teg pistons(p29), LS rods, what cams would be needed. And would a P28 ecu work or do we recommend the apexi module(I know it requires MX)? Also I read somewhere about adjusting the timing 18*btdc. What is this? And until I determine the aspiration will the d15b7 IM work or should I pick up the Z6 or Y8 IM.(by the way it is Auto) Too many variables out there, just want to know about this set up first.
Thank you for any help

Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Default RE: d15b7 mini-me

well heres a website for all the information you need http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/z6swap/z6swap.html umm i know the y8 is better than the z6 head.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:15 PM
HCF Member

Hondaboy...
What exactly is your opinion on this type of swap with the z6-vs-y8 head. To let you know I am interested in the compression ratio w/ the Z6. That would be one of my reasons for the Z6. I value a good argument on either case just requires justification.

Thanks for the link checking it out now.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:27 PM
HCF Member

the Y8 head is better. period. you can run higher boost with FI, with the Z6 head, due to the lower compression, but the lower boost with the Y8 will make about the same power due to the higher compression. and if youre talkin teg pistons, you are thinkin high-comp all motor, so go with the Y8. the only real drawback is they are usually more expensive. the y8 is higher compression due to the quench pads in the combustion chamber. they help fend off detonation, so the boost pressure may be slightly lower, but the detonation resistence is a little higher. it all evens out with FI, but with all-motor, theres no beating the Y8. more compression and better design.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:40 PM

[sm=exactly.gif]sorry man forgot to say why thanks sacicons

Old 01-17-2005, 11:49 PM
HCF Member

I appreciate the info. As for the the Z6 taking a y8 gasket would their be an alternate gasket for the Y8 to help the compression ratio? And does this require the Y8 distributor and such. I also assume this would REQUIRE the IM from the Y8. Will the Y8 take the Teg pistons as well?

As a "NooB" I have read alot of sites and most all of the forums associated with them and this site is by far the best put together as far as set up and members. I have noticed the fact based answers that have been given. Thanks again

Old 01-18-2005, 12:35 AM
HCF Member

with the teg pistons and the Y8 gasket (highest compression) i believe a d15 w/y8 head will put compression in the mid to high 11s. so tuning is getting important, premium fuel is an absolute MUST, and set the ignition timing for pump gas at about 14-15*, and then right at the stock 16-18 for a tank full of cool blue 100 on raceday. you can even put little notches on the distributor so you dont need to take a timing light with you everywhere.

no it doesnt require the y8 IM, but its the best one.
i think you want the z6 dizzy.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:01 AM
HCF Member

unfortunatly I am not what you mean by "Dizzy". And are you referring to the same as 18*btdc because I was wanting to know what this means as well. The car has had nothing but premium since '97 and mobile 1 synth. The car came with"alot" of reciepts for scheduled maint and replacement "OE" parts ie..waterpump and belt, distributor ....I have put only prem gas in it as well in fearof cheap gas karma..

Thanks for your input Sacicons...It is helpful

Old 01-18-2005, 02:48 AM
HCF Member

I guess if I searched I could have answered the "Dizzy" question myself. Now I understand that. ( I Was a little(lot) slow on the uptake) Please I by know means want to come off as if I know something. I am learning as I go. I appreciate the patience. At this point if I went with either head which portion of the motor would I use to determine pully sets and most other motor specific Mods.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

most are interchangeable. and dont worry about not knowing. all of us had to learn at some point.

Quick Reply: d15b7 mini-me