Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

d16y8 bore smog legal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Question d16y8 bore smog legal?

i have done quite a bit of research on this subject, and i can't seem to find much on it. anyway, i have a few questions on boring out my d16y8.

1. if i bore out my y8 to as big as it can go, will it pass smog?

2. since i am pulling it apart to rebuild it, what are some parts that i could replace while everything is down to the bare block?

3. is it worth the money for the amount of hp gain? looking for like 150-160 all say and done.

i have looked into doing a turbo, but the reason why i bought the car is so that i can have a semi-fast car that still gets good mpg. so an engine swap and some mild upgrades to the engine internals should be fine for me right now. any advice helps. thanks

Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 AM
HCF Member

1) depends on your own local smog laws. but if done right and tuned properly i do not see why it would not pass smog.

2)this info is out there and you need to make sure you get together parts that compliment each other, ie go look at other peoples builds that worked. you want to resleeve bottom end and get rods, pistons, valves (retainers/springs), check levelness and mill if needed, port and polish, new crank ect, and performance gaskets of the MM you want for the compression you want which also has a lot to do with the pistons and rods you get...

3) what you would be doing is prepping you engine to handle a huge turbo and nitrous and other things of that nature. You might see 160 from rebuilding properly but a SOHC d16 is only going to put out so much power, but now that it is rebuilt you can throw on a huge turbo and see some crazy gains without worrying about blowing the engine as much as you would on a stock engine... I found that this route was not worth it for me and so instead i got a newish engine for my car.

if you set up a boost gauge on your car or are nifty with computers you can set up your car to have different settings or just drop boost and maintain decent gas mileage whilst not needing to drive fast.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM

Do you have a clue what all this would cost of i didn't buy the most expensive but not the cheapest parts? not looking for a b-series motor cuz its to much money. and i don't want a super fast car. plus my parents are weird about me street racing. so if i can build up this d16y8 as much as i can while keeping it cheap and worth while for the horsepower, that would be awesome.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 AM
HCF Member

if you want any power from a d series then you need forced induction, ie turbo. And to turbo it youre gonna wanna rebuild the internals or you will just blow the engine. You are looking at 3-4k for the build and 2-3k for the tubro. Alternatively you could swap to a b16a for about 2k total and see a nice boost in overall power. That's why i was saying i just went with a b swap, cost. the numbers i got for my building of a d series was coming to 4000 and then i just started looking at the type r that i wanted a long time ago which was the same price (about) and gave me all new engine, DOHC, vtec, LSD tranny, ect...

its all personal preference though. If you like working on cars then rebuilding might be the better option. But remember that once you start a project on it there is no way to know how long it will be out of commission, swap or rebuild.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM

B series are gut-less IMO.

You can boost safely on D series stock internals (depending on the quality of the tune, condition of the motor) if you stay around 200whp. I will bet that 200whp/180wtq turbo D series will walk away from any N/A stock B series.

Your parents should be weirded out about you street racing... it is illegal.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable. - Pick two.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

Very true. But then he is still looking at at least 2 grand for a good turbo and an eventual engine rebuild will be unavoidable i would imagine. in my case id rather lower the compression of my B and then tubro that. I also just hit 200k miles which didnt make me feel to safe doing anything to my D. I still want to build a D series in a hatch eventually.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable. - Pick two.