Go Back  HondaCivicForum.com > Civic Style > Engine & Internal
Reload this Page >

do you need to take engine when changing pistons and rods

Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

do you need to take engine when changing pistons and rods

Old 11-13-2007, 03:17 AM
HCF Member
Default do you need to take engine when changing pistons and rods

do you need to take engine when changing pistons and rods? or can you drop them out the bottom with the engine in?
cheers

Old 11-13-2007, 03:22 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: do you need to take engine when changing pistons and rods

well you don't HAVE to, but it would make things a hell of a lot easier

Old 11-13-2007, 04:20 AM
HCF Member

wat drop he whole subframe out the botom or lift the engine out the car?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 AM

most blocks you cant take them out of the bottem due to block design. they would have to come out of the top. plus if your putting new pistons and rods in wouldnt you want to re-hone the cylinder walls to get them true again so they arent out of round or distorted

Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 AM
HCF Member

GOOD POINT, DOH!CHEERS!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:45 PM
HCF Member

who says you can't hone the cylinders when the engine is in the car?

I'd take an engine out of I was to rebuild it, along with new pistons and rods comes bearings, and plasti-gauge. I can't see someone doing that when the car is on jack stands and the engine still in. Thats just asking for a lot of trouble, not to mention hours of wasted time.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

most blocks you cant take them out of the bottem due to block design. they would have to come out of the top. plus if your putting new pistons and rods in wouldnt you want to re-hone the cylinder walls to get them true again so they arent out of round or distorted
I dont know of any honda engines that you MUST take out of the car to replace pistons/rods. Just remove the head and crank and your good to go. But you should hone if you are not putting the same pistons back in. Hell, Omniman leaves the engine in the car when he builds his 200whp NA b16.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 AM

im jus baseing upon what i prefer to do. its not that much more work.. plus for me i like to put it on a work bench to work insted of laying on the ground

Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 AM
mxs
HCF Member

You have to drop the trans to remove the crankshaft. If you're doing that you might as well pull the whole thing.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Lost

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

I dont know of any honda engines that you MUST take out of the car to replace pistons/rods. Just remove the head and crank and your good to go. But you should hone if you are not putting the same pistons back in. Hell, Omniman leaves the engine in the car when he builds his 200whp NA b16.
i think i saw that video, did he bother honing? can you not justtake the head off undo the conrod bolts and push them out the top, and then drop the new ones in the top, wihout havin to take the crank ortrannyout atall?obvoiusly if you didnt hone or could you still hone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: do you need to take engine when changing pistons and rods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.