HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   engine noise (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-noise-65929/)

civic1998ex 05-27-2008 01:48 PM

engine noise

ok i just put a d16y7 block with a y8 head into my 98 civic ex when i started it it was running fine but between 2 and 4 rpm it makes a freaking noise like griending metal or something like that when i look under the hood it sounds like it is making noise from the timing belt and i dont know is it the timing belt or the valves and i hope its not the valves, can somebody help me?

and there is this other thing when i cool off the engine and then start it up and drive it works perfect but after i driven over 1/4 mile it starts that noise again, whata heck, could it be the water pump or oil pump?

Civic|UnLimiteD 05-27-2008 02:32 PM

RE: engine noise

are you sure you didnt leave any tools in your engine bay?...that happens sometimes and its a pain in the ass!

civic1998ex 05-27-2008 02:36 PM

i dont think so, but i think my timing belt is a bit loose would that be a problem?

Civic|UnLimiteD 05-27-2008 04:50 PM

perhaps..im not really that knowledgable lol im still learning...ask forty he can answer anything

civic1998ex 05-27-2008 05:55 PM

who or what is forty?

trustdestruction 05-27-2008 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: civic1998ex

who or what is forty?
lol, he's a forum moderator.

RonJ 05-27-2008 07:24 PM

ok i just put a d16y7 block with a y8 head into my 98 civic ex when i started it it was running fine but between 2 and 4 rpm it makes a freaking noise like griending metal or something like that when i look under the hood it sounds like it is making noise from the timing belt and i dont know is it the timing belt or the valves and i hope its not the valves, can somebody help me?

and there is this other thing when i cool off the engine and then start it up and drive it works perfect but after i driven over 1/4 mile it starts that noise again, whata heck, could it be the water pump or oil pump?
I think you probably have a bad water pump. Any indicator lights ON?

Also, did you properly tension the timing belt as described in the service manual?

Civic|UnLimiteD 05-27-2008 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction

who or what is forty?
lol, he's a forum moderator.
word.:D

rofl i love the way that sounded "Who or what is forty" hahahah if u think about it its funny in a way hahahah

wookieneck 07-31-2008 07:29 AM

Ive got the same thing going on, put the new belt on and now when the motor is cold and starts up I hear this grinding coming from the timing cover.

Took the cover off, and the belt seems loose. But then im not really sure how tight it should feel because im an idiot and didnt pay any attention to the original one.

So I was hoping mine was a bit loose and I could just tighten it up. Does anyone know the spec for the tension, like if I borrowed a tension gauge and checked it im wonder what range it should be in.

RonJ 07-31-2008 07:49 AM

You don't need a belt tension gauge. Follow precisely the timing belt tensioning procedure detailed in the service manual. See link in my signature.