Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine noise

Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Default engine noise

ok i just put a d16y7 block with a y8 head into my 98 civic ex when i started it it was running fine but between 2 and 4 rpm it makes a freaking noise like griending metal or something like that when i look under the hood it sounds like it is making noise from the timing belt and i dont know is it the timing belt or the valves and i hope its not the valves, can somebody help me?

and there is this other thing when i cool off the engine and then start it up and drive it works perfect but after i driven over 1/4 mile it starts that noise again, whata heck, could it be the water pump or oil pump?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: engine noise

are you sure you didnt leave any tools in your engine bay?...that happens sometimes and its a pain in the ***!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:36 PM

i dont think so, but i think my timing belt is a bit loose would that be a problem?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

perhaps..im not really that knowledgable lol im still learning...ask forty he can answer anything

Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 PM

who or what is forty?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: civic1998ex

who or what is forty?
lol, he's a forum moderator.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok i just put a d16y7 block with a y8 head into my 98 civic ex when i started it it was running fine but between 2 and 4 rpm it makes a freaking noise like griending metal or something like that when i look under the hood it sounds like it is making noise from the timing belt and i dont know is it the timing belt or the valves and i hope its not the valves, can somebody help me?

and there is this other thing when i cool off the engine and then start it up and drive it works perfect but after i driven over 1/4 mile it starts that noise again, whata heck, could it be the water pump or oil pump?
I think you probably have a bad water pump. Any indicator lights ON?

Also, did you properly tension the timing belt as described in the service manual?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction

who or what is forty?
lol, he's a forum moderator.
word.

rofl i love the way that sounded "Who or what is forty" hahahah if u think about it its funny in a way hahahah

Old 07-31-2008, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

Ive got the same thing going on, put the new belt on and now when the motor is cold and starts up I hear this grinding coming from the timing cover.

Took the cover off, and the belt seems loose. But then im not really sure how tight it should feel because im an idiot and didnt pay any attention to the original one.

So I was hoping mine was a bit loose and I could just tighten it up. Does anyone know the spec for the tension, like if I borrowed a tension gauge and checked it im wonder what range it should be in.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You don't need a belt tension gauge. Follow precisely the timing belt tensioning procedure detailed in the service manual. See link in my signature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine noise