Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Overheating Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Default Engine Overheating Help!

Hi
I drove my car for about an hour today when it started to overheat. the gauge would go to about 3/4 and then drop down out of no where to about half. Also when i braught it home and let it cool down. Then i started it up and got it at normal temp then took it for a lil drive and it started to over heat again. This time the gauge read just under red. Then i braught it back to my garage shut the car off then started it again and the temp gauge went down to 3/4 then i shut the car off then turned it back on again right after and the gauge read half. Also my fan is turning on and then off and then back on again. Is it just the thermostate if not what else could it be?????
Thx josh

Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Default RE: Engine Overheating Help!

it could be air in the system, try to bleed it. there is a bleeder on one of the coolant passages on the head, just give is a turn when the engine is running at operating temp and let all the air get out then close it back up. it could also be a plugged up radiator restricting coolant flow.

so really you might as well do a coolant flush, change the thermostat, and fill it up with new 50/50 coolant water mix, and see if that works.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 PM

Hi
Where is the bleeder could u show me a pic or give me more information on where it is??
Thx josh

Old 05-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

see were the top radiator hose goes into the head of the engine from the radiator? right before it enters the head there should be this little screw with a nipple on the top of it. that is your bleeder screw, crack that open when the car is running barely... also check your coolent level when the car is cold so you dont burn yourself. Could be running low

Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 AM

Hi
If it is not the thermostat or the bleeding of the lines or coolant level what might it be??
Thx Josh

Old 05-02-2006, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

I had a over heating problem my self yesterday actually. It seems ever since I got that turbo installed, and after I get on it, my overflow tank bleeding valve leaks. During normal driving its ok, but when I get on it once or twice it leaks like a son of a gun. Can you see antifreeze on the ground in your case?

Old 05-02-2006, 02:11 PM

I was driving it for about an hour honking on it a bit but not to much. When it started to overheat i poped the hood and there was sum spray of the antifreeze on my engine bay parts. Also my rad is sucking alot of fluid in I have to top it up quite often.
Thx josh

Old 05-02-2006, 03:53 PM
HCF Member

If there is antifreeze on your engine you have a leak. Your gonna have to find the leak. The rad cap is prolly pulling fluid out of the reservoir b/c you have a leak and low pressure in the coolant system. WHen there is low pressure the rad cap pulls fluid out of the reservoir.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:02 PM

Hi
It is not taking any fluid out of the resevoir tho. I filled up the rad with water and drove it for about 2o mins and had to re fill the rad up again. The resevoir is full still for sum reason do u know why?
Josh

Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 PM

sounds like you might have a crack in your radiator

Quick Reply: Engine Overheating Help!