Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Engine Sensors

I'm considering buying a GSR from a junkyard for very cheap, i've been told they can be had for $500. Obviously this is way cheaper than buying the engine from the internet. The mechanical shape of the engine does not really matter since i will be rebuilding the engine. The only thing that i'm worried about is that since its from a junkyard, it might be have broken or missing sensors. The question here is, what is the worst case scenario? How much will it cost me to change every sensor? I wanna make sure that i don't buy an engine just to end up spending more than the cost of a swap replacing sensors.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Default RE: Engine Sensors

You might want to check and make sure the wrecking yard isn't stripping the engines before they sell them that cheap...

Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 PM
HCF Member

I thought that $500 for a GSR is pretty cheap, but then again i wouldn't care if the engine had 100K+ miles on it. I just want all the sensors to work and have no problems with the block or head.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:25 AM

I think you're missing what I'm saying... you might want to look under the hood to make sure the engine is actually THERE. No wrecking yard in their right mind would sell you a GSR WITH the engine for $500 unless it had taken a direct head-on from a semi.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

unless it had taken a direct head-on from a semi.
that is funny

Old 04-21-2006, 06:51 AM
HCF Member

I think what he meant when he said "GSR" was the engine, not the car.

If you aren't worried about the motor condition, then you probably don't have a problem tracking down junkyard sensors, no?

Old 04-21-2006, 04:24 PM
HCF Member

I was talking about a GSR engine, i need it to do a swap. And yea, i don't care about the condition of the engine because the engine will be rebuilt so as long as the block and cylinder head are fine there isnt' a problem. I wouldn't mind tracking down a couple sensors, but that isn't my problem either. The thing i am worried about is that if i buy a junkyard GSR for $500 and end up having to replace a crap load of sensors and end up spending like $1000+ on new sensors i would be better off buying an engine from a shop for $3000 with working sensors and a trans. Thats my biggest concern.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 PM

Oh, ok. My bad.

I wouldn't worry about it that much though... there aren't nearly $1,000 worth of sensors ON the damn engine.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:18 AM
HCF Member

I know that some cars have crazy expensive sensors. Like there is a kid i know with a broken Dodge Stealth, it has a bad Crank pos sensor and he said that its like almost $1000 for the damn sensor. I was looking on the internet and it seems like the ave price of a sensor is $200 (new). Is that at all correct?

Old 04-22-2006, 12:40 AM

just a thought...

I'm not sure if these sensors are like oxygen sensors and the like. One thing too is whether or not these sensors are OEM. I am sure you would prefer an OEM sensor and I am not sure if aftermarket makes sensors in this area. I was doing research on timing belts and was surprised to see a drastic difference between OEM and aftermarket timing belts whether or not these were the same belt rebadged. I can see a boat load of sensors adding up in expense if there was an OEM vs aftermarket make in this area.

Just something to consider. I would hate for that "bargain" at the J.Y. turn into a nightmare later on

Quick Reply: Engine Sensors