Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

which engine should i swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Default which engine should i swap?

hey guys. i currently have a b16 with the basic mods. i/h/e thats about it. the exhaust is custom 2.5 in. other then that the engine is pretty much stock. i was thinking about getting turbo and everything but i figure i should do an engine swap instead and then do a turbo. so i need your feed back. i would like to know what would be the best engine for turbo charging and what would make the most horsepower and could take the pounding. from the research i've done people tell me ls vtech is a very strong motor. and the b20 isnt reliable because after you bore it the side walls are very week... please give me some input guys. much appretiated.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:19 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: which engine should i swap?

I have a boosted B16A and am very happy with the horsepower I am putting out. You can turbo that motor and it will handle boost just fine. If u have the money to throw around then you could go with a B18C motor which has lower compression than the B16 as well as more torque and horsepower. This is an awesome motor to boost and would be my choice. Just my 2 cents. good luck!!

Old 11-03-2006, 02:37 PM

alright thanks for the input. isn't there two different kinds of b16 engines? whats the difference between them? i really want to grab a turbo but i'm not sure if i want to buy a turbo firstr or buy an engine first and then the turbo.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

it america there are four different kinds of b16s. three of them are the same engine with different OBD levels. the third one is the CTR engine that really isnt worth building.

if you boost you're gunna sell the intake and the header.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

Strap a turbo on the b16 youve got. Get a good tune and keep the boost at a reasonable level and youll make great power.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:46 PM

i wouldnt think about doin a b20 unless you've got some money laying around to build it right. IMO
you can build a b20, i wouldnt worry about sidewalls in those blocks they are strong enough, its the rod bolts in those motors that are the weak part.
strap on a vtec head and rev out to about 7-7500 and be happy. thats my next project a built and sleeved CRVtec in my 99si

Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM

alright thanks a lot guys. so a turboed b16 with some good internals would give a lot of guys a run for their money? what kind of horsepower are we talking about here?

Old 11-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if you want a broad range of power and keep your bolt on mods, just get a jackson racing supercharger

Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

it america there are four different kinds of b16s. three of them are the same engine with different OBD levels. the third one is the CTR engine that really isnt worth building.

if you boost you're gunna sell the intake and the header.
Old USDM CRXs recieved B16s (ODB0)? I thought that was in Japan only. And I had also thought B16Bs were available in Japan only.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

i think what i meant was there are only four b16's that are easy to come by in america. not sure tho.

Quick Reply: which engine should i swap?