Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Swap

Hahahaha Reaper C30a. Oh man, who in their right mind would take an NSX engine and try to slam that into a Civic...

To add onto what Reaper said, the engines in the "Harder" category require some motor mount fabrication or another 300-500 in motor moutns from a third party, like Hasport. Your dad may not be able to fabricate with just his mechanic skills.

I've actually never driven a Vtec engine before, but from what I've read the D-series Vtec aren't too different from their non-Vtec equivalents. I'd go with a B or H series. I've also read that the B16 is a somewhat overrated swap, though the B18C is expensive.

The F22 and H22 swaps are supposed to be a pretty good value (just keep in mind that you'll need custom motor mounts). I was seriously considering putting an H22 in my 86 CRX, but there's a ton of issues I'd have with the swap. You'll get a lot of power and torque (~200 hp/~160 ft lbs). The one thing that really scared me away from an H-series swap was the autotensioner issue they have. Long story short, it's a reliability issue if the engine's in the hands of someone who doesn't know his way around that specific motor.

You can get an idea of some prices at www.hmotorsonline.com Their name has come up a lot on this forum and lots of people recommend them. You might find lower prices from private party, but you can at least figure out what's likely to cost you the most/least.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 AM

Thanx for all the info guys,

but im still confused on wat 2 get.[&:] lol. ill do some more research and find the best engine that suits me for a cheap price. i think im still leaning towards a b16a, but does any1 no where i can import or does any 1 no a guy who can get these engines for cheap????

Thanx again every1

Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 AM

I dunno,

but can i put a b16 or b18 block onto my car???
or doesnt that work?

and i also want to no wat kind of engine i hav got in my car already??
Its a '98 Vti coupe.

sorry bout all the questions

Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM
HCF Member

dude...check out the link i posted. Those are JDM engines on the site.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:03 PM

ive heard that it is bad to boost a vetec engine since thei high compression and the turbo adds more compression?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^ please post a new thread instead of threadjacking someone else's in the future

but vtec's do amazingly well under boost... and vtecs aren't exactly high compression motors (I believe the d16z6 is somewhere in the 9.2:1 range)

Old 04-18-2008, 03:37 AM

Faaarrrrk[:@]...I WANTA K20a.

they look so good and iv heard alot of good things about them.... but.... i dun hav the dough.

Are the H22A Long Block engines any good?? coz theres a cheap 1 on the website for $1200.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:41 AM

wait... wat is a long block??

coz theres a k24A4 Long block for $850.

will that fit in mycar??

Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 AM
HCF Member

Just as a personal warning (I'm not an admin or mod), questions specific to your car like "what will fit in it?" are going to get you flamed sort of, since you can find the answers to these from searching the forums.

That said, you should probably read the stickies in this subforum (Engine and Internal), since most long/short blocks don't fit into your car without additional parts.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

Most of the people here are from the USA, and we dont have the VTi here. can you take a picture of the motor and we will be more able to tell you whats in it?

Quick Reply: Engine Swap