Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Swap in a 94 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Default Engine Swap in a 94 Civic LX

WARNING: IM A NOOB WITH NO EXPERIENCE IN MECHANICS, THIS WILL SOUND RIDICULOUS.

ok a few things. one i am NOT doing this myself i have NO knowledge on mechanics whatsoever. also dont expect me to hear some words and be like o yea i know exactly what that is. i dont know a lot of mechanic vocab. i am an electronics guy but recently i was inspired to sort of get up and go. so i want to know a good site to find engines for my car. also are there and certain ones that would be really good. i am looking for speed. i plan on having a turbo. and lastly i want an auto to manual switch. anyway i would like to look around for a while and get some suggestions. i decided im going to do this rather than buy a new car. anyway thanks in advance for listening to my bs.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:51 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Swap in a 94 Civic LX

http://hmotorsonline.com/i just order a b16 from them. how much are you looking to spend on the motor by its self

Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 PM

ok well honestly im not looking at this moment. this car will be my investment. meaning im not going to buy a new car until a new engine wont stop this car from falling apart... get what im saying? im not getting a new car until this one starts falling apart at the chasis. so im not looking now (id like to) but i would get one sooner if it were under a grand but i want one also that wont lower my current MPG (around 30 or 32 mpg) but will give me power. im sick of getting my *** handed to me on the highway by RICERS none the less....

Old 06-21-2008, 09:51 PM

The only thing you're gonna get for under a grand is a D16Z6 (125hp) or a JDM D15B (130hp). Your engine has 102hp, so it's not gonna be that much of a difference to justify a motor swap to either of these engines. You could do a mini-me swap which is taking a z6 head or JDM d15b head and mating it to your D15B7 block. This will run you ~$500 at the most and will give you as much horsepower as an engine swap to either of those motors I previously listed. Your best bet for $1000 is to piece together your own turbo kit and then you'll have a lot more power. Do lots of research before doing this.

EDIT: Just realized you have an automatic. Do a tranny swap before you turbo it. Or you could buy either one of the two engines I listed above with the tranny on them and ECU for a complete swap. That would be smarter, easier and cheaper than doing both a mini-me and a tranny swap. Then turbo that biatch.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:23 AM

will those engines bumb up acceleration times?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:20 AM
HCF Member

not by much there slow. he he said put together a turbo kit

Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Super Cereal Admin

If you're short on cash, I'd say look around for a d16z6. You can pick up a z6 in good shape for $300 or so. Like it was said before, the z6 has about 125hp, and it's a vtec motor. The nice thing about the z6 is you can modify it's computer (ecu) to make your engine and turbo play nice.

The transmission swap will cost you something around $1000 for parts alone (we have a write-up or two floating around here on what you'll need and how to do it).

For the turbo kit, we have a few guides on how to piece together your own kit... I'd really recommend you read them (not to mention do all the research on turbos you can). It'll defintiely help you in the long run. Generally, a pieced-together turbo kit will cost between $1000 and $2500, and you should save up an extra $200 or so for the little things that tend to pop up in turbo projects.

Now, if you have a good bit of money sitting around, I'd say go for a b16 swap and turbo it. It's a vtec motor, and they're something around 150hp I believe. That's not too much, but the transmission is geared for acceleration. Also, they respond extremely well to turbos. Also, if you get a full swap (around $2250 + shipping), it shortens your transmission swap grocery list (actually it pretty much cuts it in half).

Old 06-22-2008, 03:06 PM

on hmotorsonline.com they have this thing where if you get an engine and transmission its no shipping on the transmission. is that what i want? or is there an option for an ENTIRE package with everything? also do you know if i could just get it sent to the shop that was going to do it for me? and one last thing was that 2250 for the B16? cuz there's a guy at my work who has a 94 Civic turboed, with a B16A? i think and nitrous. he says he gets 288 HP to the wheels. minus the turbo and nitrous. what would THAT cost me?

ok i lied one more thing. how much does a turbo actually add to your HP and does it add to acceleration. if this is a lot to answer you can hold off and ill look at the info and research later on.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:50 PM
HCF Member

the second generationb16a w/ hydrotranny ecu axels shift linkage and shipping should cost around 2200 -2400 modify the wiring harness a little and you have a170hp engine with a fun short tranny which will be much faster and more fun than what you have now. If you put a turbo on an engine you can get anywhere from blowing the motorto 1500hp or more that is way to vaguebut a simple budget turbo build on a b16a and you could easily see 210-250 at the wheels if you tune it rightand yes that will be very fun and fast for a daily driver.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:01 PM

yep that sounds amazing. i think i might do that. of course this would be quite a bit later. and my mom just informed me that my car has a rebuilt engine. they did it RIGHT before i got the car so now i have no clue what it can do. but it would explain why my car can go 120 no problem.... maybe? im not sure

Quick Reply: Engine Swap in a 94 Civic LX