Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

GSR build, Opinions Wanted

Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Talking GSR build, Opinions Wanted

Hey guys,
Im building up a gsr from the ground up to be fitted out as a nice street, turboed driver that I can use as a fairly regular commuter. I own a 92 civic vx hatch (and yes, it is unfortunately red...), and after reading the hype onr gsr's got into builing mine.

But since this is a "from scratch" project, I was wondering if you could give some suggestions or links to ref's on what components I need to "bulletproof" it, as well as maximizing the tubro and engine's capabilities. Also if there are any newb mistakes that I would make that I should look out for (so as not to make my baby go boom!!), I would appreciate it.

So far I only have the cylinder block, with a forged crank on the way, and the gsr head in process of being bought.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
HCF Member

Get some beefy Eagle h-beam rods, weisco low compression pistons. Port and polish the head. Have a machine shop balance the whole rotating assembly for you. LoL how much are you wanting to put into it?

Old 09-11-2008, 04:29 AM

Im putting in whatever needs to be put in, I want it done right, so im not worried about being cheap. I would rather spend the money necessary to make it run great, than try to cheap out, run it twice, and then have to pay for another engine because it blew. Right now I am planning on putting 5k into it. But im flexible.

So eagl rod to match the eagle crank I got? What about fuel and oil pressure sytem upgrades? Any suggestions on those, or how effective they are?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 AM
HCF Member

what are your horsepower goals? that is important because it determines how much you will have to bulletproof your engine. also the eagle crank is not necessary, oem cranks can handle alot of power, i would return it and spend the money on other things. off the top of my head you will need acl race bearings, arp headstuds, 9:1 pistons (cp, wiseco etc), rods (eagle, carillo etc), rc injectors (the size will depend on your hp goals), walboro 255 fuel pump, hondata s300 engine management, garrett bb turbo (size depends on hp goals), ramhorn style manifold, 3" downpipe and exhaust (no cat), FMIC, oil feed and return lines, bov, boost controller, wastegate (Tial is very good). obviously you will need more stuff but this should get you started. good luck

Old 09-11-2008, 06:54 AM

Gotcha thanks for the help. Im trying to push a range of 250-300 hp. Im not worried about ridiculous power since i want to be able to drive it fairly regularly. Whats a good spot to get parts from, or a link to a thread with a list that im sure is out there?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 AM
HCF Member

Your stock crank and rods will hold that much power. Might as well get some forged h beams though in case you want to go with more boost later. You can get precision injectors as well. I would check out phearable.net for injectors and ecu tuning I suggest hondata s300 if you can afford it. t3/t4 50 or 57 trim could get you there and farther later down the road. For now I would leave the head stock If you want alot more power later you can change that.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM
HCF Member

+1 ^

You should piece it together in your mind before even considering buying parts. You just spent a lot of money on a crank that is not even close to being necessary for your power goals.
________
The Cliff Condos

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:43 PM

Good idea, but I only bought it because the oem cranks I could find were actually more expensive than the one I got. Most were ranging from $800+, as compared to the forged for $500. Perhaps that was because they were new, I dunno. But you are definitely right, I just printed out the blow up diagram of the gsr and am currently assembling it price wise on there.

Last edited by Ronin Inc; 09-11-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 AM

Also, one last question fella's. If I assemble the engine pre-turbo with the 9:1 pistons, will the gsr still run, albeit slowly due to the lower CR?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 AM
HCF Member

It will run fine. Your prolly going to have to run premium fuel only in it tho.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GSR build, Opinions Wanted