Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

H22 into 95 saloon civic esi (us dx)

Old 06-16-2005, 09:40 AM
HCF Member
Default H22 into 95 saloon civic esi (us dx)

Hi People,

I've managed to find a H22 out of a rear ended prelude, the guy only wants 600gbp for the lot (and yes it is running and has nothing wrong), so was just wonderin, a) is this a good engine to swap into a civic saloon, b) what am I also going to need apart from engine, gearbox, ecu, wiring loom, mount kit c) will i dramaically reduce my handling due to weight. Sorry if I seem like a complete newb in my questions, but getting really sick of the d16z6 and read up alot on it, and it seems to me that turbo charging this engine is pointless so I might aswell spend the money on a swap then save to turbo that. Also I will be putting up some photo's of my car soon as I've done quite alot to it now, just got to wait for my angel eyes an new back bumper to come through and then its gonna be in bodyshop for abit, but after that I will put some pics up for you all to have a nebby at. At the moment its got a carbon fibre spoiler, rear depo lights, 17" konig holes alloys, a cat back exhaust with a 25year guarantee (3.5" slash cut with flame burnt tip), I simota air filter and a few other bit an bats, the only problem is this car has had 9 owners before me so the problems I've had with it are mounting up, only just had a new gearbox. Every time I get something fixed summat else goes, wo tempted to blow it up the other day when part of the back bumper flew off down the motorway. Also has anyone got any good links to somewhere in the uk that do interior re trims for civic's.

Cheers for any help in advance.

Here is a pic from when I first bought it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/885/C06BA83F01CD4295BAA5B94DD7D6827F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Default RE: H22 into 95 saloon civic esi (us dx)

H22 wouldn't be a bad idea if you can get it for that cheap. You will need all the things you mentioned, along with new axles (and hubs) and a new shift linkage. Your handling won't be dramatically reduced, but it will suffer, along with your weight distribution (an H22 outweighs a SOHC D-series by almost 100 pounds). Also, some people find that they can't turn their steering wheel lock to lock after having the swap done, but that's usually more common on hatches. You do need to be careful if you decide to boost the H22, since the internals are fairly tame. But that will come later... For 600 GBP, I'd definitely take the car, since you can probably part out what's left later on.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:52 PM
HCF Member

i think i read somewhere that its twice as heavy as the D but it also puts out twice the HP and over twice the torque. is that true?

Old 06-16-2005, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

i thought the b series was 100 more than the d, and the h was 85 more than the b. something like that.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

i think im thinking the swap, and Kappas thiking the motor. that makes sense.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

Cheers,

Reckon I'm gonna buy that h22 block then, probably gonna need to keep it for abit till I can afford to get the swap done, but at that price I better snap it up quick eh. What do you guys reckon I could get the bhp up to with keeping the h22 block n/a.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:40 PM
HCF Member

ehh, id think about 200-240 to the wheels without too much ado. and the torque will blow the doors off of b-series motors.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:57 PM
HCF Member

wouldnt that be fun? being on the track with some big headed import guy who thinks hes gunna blow you away cuz hes got a B16 underhood then all of a sudden he sees ur dust on his left :P

Old 06-20-2005, 11:21 AM
HCF Member

I've managed to get the guy down to 500gbp for the engine, gearbox, ecu and wiring loom, as he said I could not take the full car cause its against their code of practice as they are breakers. The only problem is that the dizy cap is gone and he says I will have to take out the wiring loom myself, I'm ok at doin little jobs on my car but is taking the wiring loom out of the prelude gonna be a complete f**ker or a simple follow the wires and pull them out. The guy says its defo running but should I get my mate who is a mechanic to look at it before I buy. At that price I could stick it on ebay and probably make a pretty penie. A garage have quoted me 1200gbp to fit it all. So gonna buy the engine and keep it for abit til I can afford the insurance, only just passed. Cheers for all replies people. Like the thought of blowing doors off b16's, at the mo with my d16 I could'nt blow the doors of a paper house.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:25 PM
HCF Member

500 for an H22? damn thats a deal if i know one!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H22 into 95 saloon civic esi (us dx)