Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

head gasket problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Default head gasket problem

I have a problem. I didn't see this anywhere. I have a blown head gasket and I don't know how to change it. I just got my first honda and need some help. Anyone know of any site or anywhere to look all this up. I needc pics and directions. THe car is stuck behind my office right now and I have the head gasket. CAn anyone help me?

Old 04-27-2006, 08:47 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: head gasket problem

what car do you have??? year, model??? if you scroll thru this topic, there have been numerous posts on this very subject.. just search head gasket.. you should find it..
or, in the general tech help section, in the top section there is a thread.. general tech help, by xcm828, with links to shop manuals etc..

Old 04-28-2006, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: theiss2200

I have a problem. I didn't see this anywhere. I have a blown head gasket and I don't know how to change it. I just got my first honda and need some help. Anyone know of any site or anywhere to look all this up. I needc pics and directions. THe car is stuck behind my office right now and I have the head gasket. CAn anyone help me?
You most likely do not want to reuse the existing head studs. You'll also want to replace the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets because they come off before you remove the cylinder head. It would be good to replace the valve cover gasket also.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 PM
HCF Member

i just had mine replaced, it was pretty sweet...lol, not. Yeah, dont forget the timing belt too

Old 04-29-2006, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

i replaced my g/f's on her 96 ex last week, its not hard it just takes time. drain the radiator and oil, take off the plug wires, remove the spark plugs, and take off the valve cover. then, disconnect power steering, exhaust and intake manifolds, and the vtec solenoid if you have it. pull off the head, make sure its not warped or damaged (its best to get that checked out by a shop if you don't know what to look for). clean everything up and put new head gasket, intake manny gasket, exhaust manny gasket, and valve cover gasket as you put everything together. put in new oil and filter and new antifreeze. then let your car idle up to normal operating temp and sit there for about 15 minutes while the head settles. white smoke(aka steam) will probably continue to come out of the exhaust pipe for a little while until the head fully settles. then change your oil in a few hundred miles and you should be good to go.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:54 PM
HCF Member

so after you get it fixed you should still change your oil? after a couple hundred miles?