Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Head gasket/Water pump...

Old 12-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Default Head gasket/Water pump...

I'll start by saying I'm not a Civic guy, have seen the car, but not worked on it. Have however built Isuzu Impulse Rally car and done a BUNCH of engine work. Bacally I'm not an idiot or newb to working on cars, just not much Honda stuff.

A guy I work with has a '93 Civic 2-door DX. It's pretty basic so I immagine it has the base engine, it is however an automatic.

Guy doesn't know anything about cars and apparently overheated it due to water pump problem and blew a head gasket. Shop told him this, I have not seen it. It does however leave a HUGE ploom of white smoke when he's driving it, so I immagine they're right. Apparently they told him that the engine has to come out to change the water pump or head gasket. I immagine it's the water pump they're talkinga about. He doesnt' want to spend the $900 on the repair for a $1400 car and asked me if I'd do it for him for less $$. (He is worried about getting screwed by shop because he speaks english, but not very well and is from India).

Question:

What exactly does it take to replace the water pump and head gasket in this car?
Do the heads usually warp when they overheat? (I'd probably take it to a machine shop anyway just to check)
What parts? water pump, head gasket set (with all gaskets to get down to head gasket), etc?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Default RE: Head gasket/Water pump...

The shop is giving him a bunch of bull**** (they like to say things like that so they can justify charging you a ****load of money). Head gasket and water pump can both be done with the engine in. If you have experience building engines, all you really need to do the head gasket is some torque tables and common sense, but as a first-timer you should still use a manual, since it involves removing the timing belt. There are some VERY critical (general) things you need to worry about, but I'll assume you are familiar with the general notion of head gasket jobs.

As with any head gasket, you need to take the head to a machine shop to get it surfaced, especially since this guy has been driving the car with a blown gasket.

As for the water pump, you definitely want a manual for that, as it also involves removing the timing belt. You had better know what you're doing when you reset the timing since Hondas are interference engines, and if you knock the belt off a few teeth, you end up with bent valves (worst-case scenario). At the very least, you'll end up taking it apart again to fix it.

As for parts, I'll try to throw a list together off the top of my head. I may have to add something later, though:

Head Gasket:

-You may or may not want to replace the timing belt (depending on how old it is), since it will be off for either of these jobs.
-Head gasket set
-Valve cover gasket set (should come with spark plug grommets).
-Intake manifold gasket (you should be able to re-use the metal exhaust manifold gasket).
-Check the spark plugs.

Water Pump:

-Water pump (should come with it's own gasket).
-Gasket maker silicone (always a good idea on water gaskets).
-(Obviously) new coolant/water

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the list!

I have done the cam timing on DOHC Honda motorcycles and it went OK, so I immagine, with the manual, this would be OK too.

I checked on it and the parts for this thing are CHEAP! Everything, including $75 for milling the head and a $20 Haynes manual, is like $265!

Also, does the Haynes or Clymer manual do an OK job with this car? or do I need the Honda manual? I always get the GM manuals for my cars and the Honda manuals for my bikes, but what about this car?

Also, I've done a couple pushrod 4-cylinder head gaskets and stuff, but with the OHC 4-cylinder, do you usually have to take everything out of it (cam and rockers) to have it machined?

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 12-16-2004, 12:26 PM

Well, I'm 19, I've been working on cars for about 13 years, and I've never used a manual, so I couldn't really tell you. As far as I know, I think Chiltons manuals are the best for Hondas.

Yes, you're going to take the entire valvetrain off the head (you have to to get at the head bolts). Just keep it as together as possible, put it in a cardboard box somewhere and keep it CLEAN. As for the timing, you just have to make sure you set the engine to TDC and then when you put the timing belt back on, keep the slack on the side with the tensioner. Also, please, for the sake of the car, make sure you're clear about everything you need to do before you take it apart. There are a lot of things you need to be careful of and take care of to make sure the head gasket doesn't blow again after 8,000 miles.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

two things to add.
1. for the gasket sealer, get Hondabond (from the dealer, pretty cheap too) its good for everything, water, oil, tranny cases. everything.

2. i used a haynes for a long time, now mostly for torque specs and stuff, but it is a decent manual. the chilton is better, but it can get a little confusing. and i think the haynes is a little cheaper, i could be mistaken though.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:40 PM

Permatex is the exact same thing, and it's cheaper. Basically, silicone gasket maker is pretty hard to make "better".

Old 12-17-2004, 12:00 AM
HCF Member

yeah but a lot of it is application specific.

Old 12-17-2004, 12:06 AM

Not the stuff I have. We just have a huge case of it sitting in the garage, and it works for everything.

Old 12-17-2004, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

really? the permatex stuff in the store says its for specific things, like oil apps, and coolant apps, and other such things. maybe its just a ploy to make us pay more for some kinds. maybe it wasnt permatex, that just sounds like it. i dunno.