Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Head work options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Default Head work options?

I have a D15b1, SOHC, DPFI, 203k miles and I had to take the head off, as I found that I had a leaking head gasket. Once I got the head off, I found a few little issues with the motor, such as a little scaring on #4 cylinder wall, and also the piston is letting oil thru the rings into the cylinder. On the head I found the #4 plug hole had been stripped out previously, and possibly been re-tapped, but it didn't hold. I'm taking the head to the shop to get the plug holes done right, and the base checked for warping.

My question is, while the head is in the shop is there anything I should consider getting done to assist in improving performance. Now I know, this thing being DPFI, and SOHC, I'm not going to blow the doors off of anything, unless it's Amish. LOL Still anything I can do to make my daily driver a fun ride, I'm up for! I'm already ordering a adjustable cam spocket, but beyond that I'm clueless as far as the head goes.

As far as the block goes, I'm still debating on what to do. I have considered re-ringing it myself, but I have never honed, or cross-hatched a cylinder before. Is this something that I can read about, and tackle myself, or should i not tread there? Is there anything else to consider on the block piece other than getting rings, and rod bearings? Should I think about going ahead and doing the crank bearings as well. The block is still in the car, so I feel that I will be on my back long hours for this build. LOL

Suggestion, comments all welcome, and thanks in advance!

FloppyRat

Old 03-18-2006, 01:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Head work options?

I have one word for you...

Swap

Old 03-18-2006, 01:35 PM
HCF Member

word

but you're gunna have to put a lot of work into it.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

Now I know, this thing being DPFI, and SOHC, I'm not going to blow the doors off of anything, unless it's Amish
what lol?

Old 03-19-2006, 09:04 AM
HCF Member

for what your gonna pay the machine shop to do the head work & what your gonna pay for head gasket ,rings, bearings ,ect. you could get a junk yard motor with less miles for about the same$$$

i paid about 500 for a d16y7 with 39k on it --did a t-belt , water pump , tune up & dropped it right in

Old 03-19-2006, 12:55 PM

head work won't give you much on that motor, swap a SOHC vtec in there if you want to gain a little power for not alot of money, then do headwork to that motor if you want.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:49 PM

A D16Y7 isn't just going to "drop right in" to an EF. I'd recommend looking into a ZC swap. It'll probably end up costing roughly the same amount as getting your engine repaired.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

What is it with you and ZC's, Kappa?

Old 03-19-2006, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

hes done like 6 of those swaps.

DOHC ZC or B16A1. theyre both almost direct drop ins.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

I say go for a B16A1 as the swaps are cheap

Quick Reply: Head work options?