Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Help me build a K20a type R

Old 05-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Default Help me build a K20a type R

I have come across a K20a type r engine with 31k miles on it. i have a couple questions. 1. is this motor worth building for whp and boosting? 2. is number one is no, what motor should i get, dont worry i did not pay a dime for the k20a type r. 3. i have never built a motor for performance, i have no idea where to start, i have rebuilt engines before but they were stock rebuilds. I need a walkthrough of what needs to be upgraded for my rebuild. i would like a 8-8.5k redline and iam planning on running a t3/4 turbo setup with aroune 15-21 pounds of boost. iam kind of lost and need to know where to start in the engine build. thank you everybody for your help, it is most apriciated.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help me build a K20a type R

you got a K20 4 free?

Old 05-14-2006, 11:13 PM

iam still grinning about it. a buddy of mine totaly wrecked his RSX type-r, completly totaled. he only had liability on it ( hes a dumarsse). his insurance told him they would not touch it, that it was his problem. and i asked for the engine out of it since he was going to just scrap it. he gave the motor in return for a fence i helped him build, so i got it for free, well i had to pull it, i also took the tranny. iam also kind of interested in the H22 engine, which one should i go with? iam leaning on the k20, but i have heard that the swap is a pain in the ***. if i go with the k20 i want to rebuild it for more power, any tips on how to get more power out of the engine before i start playing with boost?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:37 AM

dood keep that K20 and have a helluvalot of fun with it... its gonna cost you a bit to get into your car but once its in your gonna love it. do you want NA power or forced induction. Guys with bone stock K20 motors are running 12's in the quarter mile so think about that before you mod it.

Berz out;.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:14 AM

Berzerker thanks for the advice. I already know iam going to wind up putting boost into this motor, boost is like crack you cant just stop (iam shooting at 18-22 pounds right now, opinions apriciated.). I think iam going to stick to this engine for my "GO" side of the car. i will wind up using a t3/4 turbo with .63ar, 2.5in down pipe, 2.5 inch internaly polished charge piping, large high flow low resistance intercooler ( dont know which one yet) . iam going to rebuild this motor, it got sand into the oil pan during the wreck, how i dont know. i do not see any obvious damage but iam going to rebuild to be on the safe side. What do i need to upgrade/work on in the rebuild? These are the mods i plan on doing when i rebuild. Cam, crank, lower comp. pistons ( iam thinking 10.5/1, advice apriciated.), rods, heads, springs, porting/polish, high performance exaust manifold, better intake manifold, and prob a different oil pump, standalone ems, 920cc fuel injectors ( i think there 920, i would have to look.), improved fuel rail, performance plugs and wires, either a 75 or a 150 shot nitrious system( probrably will be wet, opinions apriciated.) and a 6 plate clutch to put the power to the pavement. acvice, coments, tips, hints, guides, how-to's, general knowledge,and "your crazy" coments apriciated.

The car doomed (hehe) for this engine is my 2000 civic si 5-speed manual.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:48 AM

I'd stay away from nitrous if I were you... it's not going to be necessary to get your jollies on a boosted K20A at 20 psi. However, internally, I think you're on the right track. You're going to want to go lower than 10.5:1 on the CR to run those kind of boost levels, especially on a [relatively] big turbo like a T3/T-04. I would probably look into something smaller like a 14B or a [G]T28 though.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:56 AM

No nos... boosted K20's on stock block have seen 500whp daily driven cars so have fun

Berz out.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:52 AM

Ok, its a no on the nos. Which turbo would you profesionals recomend for 18-22 pounds of boost, i want low rpm spool, and fast response. And can someone recomend a compresion ratio for me? if i neef to go lower than 10.5/1, how low do i go?

Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 PM

im not a professional or anything but if you want low rpm spool your goin to want to go with a smaller turbo, like a t-3 or something like that, a friend has a b16a2 under 12 psi on stock internals and its quite quick, if you want to shift your powerband to the upper rpm your goin to want to go with the t-3/t-04 thats what im using on my built JDM b16a in my 99 si. as for compression i'de go with JE's SRP 9.0:1 CR thats what i have in mine with je rings. thats my opinion lol

Old 05-15-2006, 09:24 PM

my99si thank you for the input. even with a t3 turbo i think my motor will be a dog with 9/1, until i get it up to about 3k to start spooling the t3. the more i think about this setup the more i like it. it would be quite a sleeper until i downshift, raise the rpms and spool it up, then it would be a beast with 20-22 pounds of boost. this idea is really growing on me. If anyone has not already guessed iam shooting for 500+ whp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me build a K20a type R