Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

ideas....help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Default ideas....help

I have a 05 civic with the d17 in it and want to get power out of it or at least do something like and engine swap ive been told that a k swap would be good but then thats 7-9 grand im just wondering what way i should go because i do want to go turbo the problem is i here that these d17s blow up on boost but on a low boost its alright.i already have the vision of goin with full exhaust and cold air and mayb a hondata so if anyone has any ideas of the route i could take pplease post it.
Thanks...

Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 PM

just go low boost on it

if you want to up the boost you can build the engine

but really the best option for power is a swap, but if you don't have the money for a swap do the other options.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:53 PM

where would i be able to get a k series engines or any jdm motors tranny cause you need all the linkages in stead of buying everything brand new

Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 PM

or what parts do i need i was thinking top end like new springs, valves, pushrods, pistons, piston rods... i dont want this engine to detonate so i want to put the right parts in to make it strong when i put a turbo on....on another note will changing these part make it faster?...i know i will extend my red line because of the new top end...i just need ideas on the way to go cause im looking to do this stuff soon and if internals are goin to help me in my situation then thats where i start but if i should go another way or ways please anyone and everyone say or idea cause i want to go with the power

Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dseventeen
or what parts do i need i was thinking top end like new springs, valves, pushrods, pistons, piston rods... i dont want this engine to detonate so i want to put the right parts in to make it strong when i put a turbo on....on another note will changing these part make it faster?...i know i will extend my red line because of the new top end...i just need ideas on the way to go cause im looking to do this stuff soon and if internals are goin to help me in my situation then thats where i start but if i should go another way or ways please anyone and everyone say or idea cause i want to go with the power
the only thing in the valvetrain that will really affect performance is the camshaft, and stage 2+ camshafts require aftermarket springs and valves, which is why they are upgraded.

you won't really extend your redline from head work, it's the block that affects that. Also, in your engine, peak horsepower is before redline, so going beyond redline would be stupid. Higher RPMs doesn't necessarily mean more power, it only means more power up to a certain point (peak power).

p.s. pistons and rods are in the block (bottom end)

The biggest weakness of the D-series engines are the rods. Really, to be good for a lot of boost you just need to build the bottom end. Although, with high boost it would be a good idea to upgrade to a turbo camshaft, and with high boost you would want at least stage 2+, which would require retainers, springs, and valves. That's why people build the top end for turbo, not because the head isn't strong enough.