Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

increasing performanceeeeeeeee

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 08:54 AM
Default increasing performanceeeeeeeee

So i went to a local accessory store and the guy told me to start off on my '99 civic lx with cold air intake, exhaust tip, and a "chip" (w.e the heck that is)....but he doesnt think i can get my hp up another 50...plus he says the intakes alone will cost me close to $300 with installation...does this stuff sound right...or should i take another course of action...my car has no hp and i wanna increase it at least by 50 now without any supercharging or nethin

Old 06-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Default RE: increasing performanceeeeeeeee

mmmm, you can do a cold air intake yourself, check out Ebay for AEM or Injen CAI's, as for the chip those are damn expensive if u want a good one, not a crappy one from ebay, dont trust those chips, they can actually HURT you car, u will need more then just an exhaust tip, u might wanna look into getting a complete exhaust system with headers, hi-flow cat, again Ebay is your friend for that, just make sure you buy from a trustworthy seller and stick to brand names, Greddy, Skunk 2, etc...

Old 06-30-2005, 10:16 AM

are they hard to install myself...also do these brands fit all hondas?

Old 06-30-2005, 12:43 PM

I agree with corye.
No, the CAI is not hard to install. Just follow the instructions supplied, and you can't go wrong. It's only a matter of removing some hoses, connections, and your old filter box, then replacing it with the new CAI, and reconnect hoses, etc.
Now for the fun part of the installation......you gotta take it out on the road and put the hammer down! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
[sm=gears.gif]

Old 06-30-2005, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

Your parts budget will double if you do the installs yourself. 50 Hp is a lofty goal as I am finding out myself, especially on a limited budget. Doing your own work will not only save you money, but you also can take all of the credit for a job well done.

"You can do it, we can help."

Anybody recognize that slogan?

Old 06-30-2005, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper
"You can do it, we can help."
Is that the HCF slogan? lol......j/k

Old 06-30-2005, 11:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: tmac4prez

and i wanna increase it at least by 50 now without any supercharging or nethin
i dont remember who said this but im using their quote.

Pick 2

Fast Cheap Reliable.

50HP is a lot bro. Full exhaust, intake, chip, pullies, thats about 1300$ if u buy the right stuff. Thats also saying ur installing that all urself. That MITE get u up to 30 horsepower. MIGHT...........just do what im doing. Dont spend a penny on anything for ur car right now. Dont get intake or anything. Instead of wasting over 1,000 on that stuff u could just save about 1500 and get a greddy turbo kit. Youll get about 50-60 horsepower only running 6PSI........thats if u really want more power thou. Full exhaust will only get u say 10 HP.......whenever u hear someone say how much HP they got from a bolt on (Other than a bolt on turbo kit)......u can pretty much divide it by 3 and thats the real answer. i guess u could throw 50 horsepower worth or nitrous.......but u gotta keep filling it up. Whatever u do make sure u get the best parts and install them right.....so u only have to do it once.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:15 PM
HCF Member

What kind of internal parts will I need to replace if I wanna run over 6psi??

Old 06-30-2005, 11:46 PM
HCF Member

rods, pistons, camshaft.......injectors fuel system......the more u do the better off ull be. Im going to turbo my D16 very soon and im leaving the internals stock. Then again i dont plan on ever running over 6PSI.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 AM
HCF Member

Yeah same here Im saving up and turbocharging my d16z6 too but its kinda tempting to run it over 6psi. 6psi just doesn't seems to be enough for me.

Quick Reply: increasing performanceeeeeeeee