Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

JDM motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Default JDM motor?

hey there guys, im new to the forum, as well as to the honda scene.

im looking to buy a honda civic to race at a stock car track here in King City.

I've herd about the JDM japanease imported motors, and they make more horsepower then the stockers the replace.

Im looking at this one civic, and the guy im dealing with is telling me that its a JDM motor in it, but for some reason i just dont belive him.

are there any physical differences that i could look at, to tell right away is its a JDM?

keep in mind that this car has been tottally stripped, and theres only a motor under the hood... no heater boxes etc...

Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: JDM motor?

it's easy to check on the valve cover, if it says DOHC or not. If it's a civic, and has DOHC you know it's at least a JDM motor... but to find out which one? i'd ask these guys here, i'm not sure.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 PM

get the code off the motor block like for instance mine is a B18A1 = DOHC non-vtec

Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 AM
HCF Member

Almost right, they all say DOHC. But if the "DOHC" letters are bigger then the "VTEC" letters you have a USDM engine (or valve cover at least). If the "VTEC" letters are bigger then the "DOHC" letters you have a JDM engine.

Someone can always change the valve cover though, so the best way to tell is my looking at the engine code located on the front of the block. All JDM engines have only letter-number-letter and thats it. USDM have a letter-number-letter-number. Just think if there is a number on the end, its USDM if not, its JDM

eg.

B16A1 = USDM (number on end)

B18C = JDM (no number on end)

B18C1 = USDM

B16A = JDM

Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Here's a list of honda engine codes so you know what motor you're dealing with if you check it out.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

well , Lost pretty much said it all

Old 02-06-2008, 04:24 AM

this guy claims that it is a SOHC motor,

does that mean that it CAN NOT be a JDM motor?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 AM
HCF Member

I think there are some SOHC motors that are still JDM but im not expert. Your best bet is to get the engine code like LOSt said and check it agains the list provided.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 PM

like i had said at the start, im new to the import scene..

where would the casting number thing be located on the motor?

...when i go to see it, i want to be able to at least LOOK like i know what im looking for lol

Old 02-06-2008, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Lost

Almost right, they all say DOHC. But if the "DOHC" letters are bigger then the "VTEC" letters you have a USDM engine (or valve cover at least). If the "VTEC" letters are bigger then the "DOHC" letters you have a JDM engine.

Someone can always change the valve cover though, so the best way to tell is my looking at the engine code located on the front of the block. All JDM engines have only letter-number-letter and thats it. USDM have a letter-number-letter-number. Just think if there is a number on the end, its USDM if not, its JDM

eg.

B16A1 = USDM (number on end)

thats pretty sick lost i never even thought about that with the vtec letters being bigger than the dohc
B18C = JDM (no number on end)

B18C1 = USDM

B16A = JDM

Quick Reply: JDM motor?