Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Just a few dumb gasket questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:32 PM
HCF Member
Default Just a few dumb gasket questions...

The exhaust manifold gasket on my car consists of 3 metal gaskets... should I use those for my header, or the metallic thick one that came with the header... And I was thinking... a t.b. spacer is supposed to be better for airflow, what if you were to double up on the intake manifold gasket, would that be better as well. Just some random stuff I was thinkin of while sittin here at work.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Just a few dumb gasket questions...

3 metal gaskets? I dont' follow. Three seperate ones or three layers? You usually have to use new gaskets when you change anything, but the exhaust manifold is one you can get away with reusing, but if you have a new one that came with it, you might as well use it.

As for the TB spacer, what it does is give a little more volume to the plenum of your IM and that's good. They will reportedly cool the incoming air a bit too, but that nonsense about swirling it into the combustion chanber is hogwash.

Hondata actuall makes a IM gasket that is really thick. Actually it's more like a spacer. It is supposed to keep the heat from the head off of the IM and result in cooler intake charges, so if you are thinking of doubling up on the gaskets, just get one of those.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

3 metal gaskets? I dont' follow. Three seperate ones or three layers? You usually have to use new gaskets when you change anything, but the exhaust manifold is one you can get away with reusing, but if you have a new one that came with it, you might as well use it.
Yup.. when I took the manifold off there were 3, thin metal gaskets between the head and the manifold. I didn't quite understand it myself. I'll try and get a pic of em tonight. But they were there... and they didn't leak. And for the manifold.. thanks for the info, I thought it would help, but didnt know for sure. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

Hondata actuall makes a IM gasket that is really thick. Actually it's more like a spacer. It is supposed to keep the heat from the head off of the IM and result in cooler intake charges, so if you are thinking of doubling up on the gaskets, just get one of those.
I just bought one of them, its MUCH Thicker than the OEM.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

Is there any noticeable difference with that on?

Old 03-03-2006, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

Well, I have no idea, I dont have a manifold on there. lol.

Name:  Picture017.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  39.2 KB

Old 03-03-2006, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

That's pretty shi**y... but i guess i'd rather have no i/m than have my car just not turn over..... grrr... i hate my damn car right now. lol

Old 03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
HCF Member

My skunk2 is en route..............The gasket wont make ur car faster, but its supposed to lower intake temps........which would be sweet for me because my turbo get hooooooooot

Old 03-03-2006, 02:05 PM
HCF Member

I figured it wouldnt make it go faster... but i was guessing maybe a little more throttle response or something like that. Would that be worth getting for an n/a setup?

Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM
HCF Member

for a N/A setup id get ITBs on the intake end. honda engines LOVE them...but it might just be cheaper to get a good turbo kit.

pete do you know when ur IM is supposed to be there?

Quick Reply: Just a few dumb gasket questions...