Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

K20...H22 Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Default RE: K20...H22 Question

ORIGINAL: Marty

You sure about that?

A atleast 6 year old engine with a unknown amount of miles on it for around $2500 only to be able to reach around 300whp then tear it apart to build it. Also choose your words wisely, the K24 will hand the H22 it's *** on a platter by way of hp abilities and tq abilities plus you can touch over 500hp with them in stock form.
aye, but we were talking k20. you just brought in a completely different engine.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 PM

You sure about that?

A atleast 6 year old engine with a unknown amount of miles on it for around $2500 only to be able to reach around 300whp then tear it apart to build it. Also choose your words wisely, the K24 will hand the H22 it's *** on a platter by way of hp abilities and tq abilities plus you can touch over 500hp with them in stock form.
aye, but we were talking k20. you just brought in a completely different engine.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 AM
HCF Member

May be a different engine but it is also cheaper. The K24A2 is the same as far as head casting and bottom end strength along with being cheaper. Add a set of cams, a tune, some bolt ons and you will see really nice gains on the K20 or K24. I have see noted dyno's of bolt on K20's that are tuned pulling 235+whp. Now back to talking about the H I have seen sleeved and built H22's all motor lucky to pull 250whp. You add high comp pistons(12 to 1), cams(JDM ITR), a set of ITB's, and a tune to a K20 and your talking around 300whp abilities on pump gas

Old 08-17-2006, 10:03 AM

May be a different engine but it is also cheaper. The K24A2 is the same as far as head casting and bottom end strength along with being cheaper. Add a set of cams, a tune, some bolt ons and you will see really nice gains on the K20 or K24. I have see noted dyno's of bolt on K20's that are tuned pulling 235+whp. Now back to talking about the H I have seen sleeved and built H22's all motor lucky to pull 250whp. You add high comp pistons(12 to 1), cams(JDM ITR), a set of ITB's, and a tune to a K20 and your talking around 300whp abilities on pump gas

I'm not arguing the fact that the K's are great engines, its just they are a tad overpriced with all the hype right now, just like the B's were a few years back.

And if you have only seen H's pull 250- look around a bit more. A guy near me has an H22 powered lude pushing 4-hundred something WHP.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 PM
HCF Member

not all motor it aint pushing 400 plus

a stock K can see over 500whp in stock trim boosted, I guess it depends on your goals. With a B/D/H series it's like this. Do you want to be on the end of a engines life span and developement stages or do you want a K that in it's current state is making more power than a fully developed B/H series and is in it's infant stages of developement. 5 years from now the B/H series is going to be where the D series has been put in the past couple years.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:44 PM
HCF Member

Opinion only... I like the K better. Square design, still in production, yeah, a little pricey but sounds cooler than having an ol H.

Or you can be the lucky guy to find a wrecked 07 RDX in a few months....

Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: zerocool

Opinion only... I like the K better. Square design, still in production, yeah, a little pricey but sounds cooler than having an ol H.

Or you can be the lucky guy to find a wrecked 07 RDX in a few months....

only to discover that there is like zero chance it's gonna work because everything is so different.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:39 AM
HCF Member

The K23(RDX) is still a K so it should go into a car the same as a K20/K24

Old 08-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Here's why it won't... at least not without a lot of trouble...

1) iVTEC only on the intake side
2) Intake cam has two lobes instead of three
3) Completely different mounts that any other K-series. (Not a bolt in)
4) The block is quite a bit larger than exsisting K-series (clearance issues)
5) All belt driven accessories mounted towards front of the block.
6) Transmissions. Uses a version of the RL tranny which is quite large and heavy. (Honda claims the stock K-series trannies are not strong enough to hold all the torque) (May not be totally true since there are plenty of turboed RSX's with over 260 lbs tq)
7) Connecting rod bolts are M8 where as other K-series use M9 (only a problem if you want more power)
8) Stock turbo is limited to 13.5 psi (must upgrade turbo if you want more power)
9) Top mount intercooler makes the engine very tall
10) Good luck getting the ECU to interface with your car.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:57 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: secondhandloser

Here's why it won't... at least not without a lot of trouble...

1) iVTEC only on the intake side
2) Intake cam has two lobes instead of three
3) Completely different mounts that any other K-series. (Not a bolt in)
4) The block is quite a bit larger than exsisting K-series (clearance issues)
5) All belt driven accessories mounted towards front of the block.
6) Transmissions. Uses a version of the RL tranny which is quite large and heavy. (Honda claims the stock K-series trannies are not strong enough to hold all the torque) (May not be totally true since there are plenty of turboed RSX's with over 260 lbs tq)
7) Connecting rod bolts are M8 where as other K-series use M9 (only a problem if you want more power)
8) Stock turbo is limited to 13.5 psi (must upgrade turbo if you want more power)
9) Top mount intercooler makes the engine very tall
10) Good luck getting the ECU to interface with your car.
1) Not a problem atleast not one that involves hurting you putting the engine in
2) Same as number 1
3) Custom mounts are not as hard as you think to make or have fabricated
4) I have seen C32's in a civic chassis, a 2.3 is not going to be that hard.
5) Once again solved with the correct mounts
6) The only engine series from honda that will not mix and match transmissions is the F series, more to the point a S2K f22/f20 will not mount to a fwd transmission. Also there is no truth to saying the K series transmission cant hold tq
7) Same problem as the K20A3. Again same as the first answer I stated
8) No it aint, the waste gate has it pulled back and held to 13.5 psi in stock form
9) Front mount intercooler and custom piping
10) AEM EMS is universal

I am not saying it would be worth it I am saying that it can be done. I remember when people tried saying you could not put a H22 into a EF. Now there are off the shelf parts to do this.

Quick Reply: K20...H22 Question