Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

to keep or not to keep....

Old 05-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Default to keep or not to keep....

well i'm getting very close to starting my mini me swap and debating whether or not i should keep my A/C and my power steering. i know it would give me more room to work with if i did remove them, and less work for the engine to do. but would it be all worth it? this is still going to be a daily driver.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Default RE: to keep or not to keep....

naa its overrated lol you would only need power steering at slow speeds, keep the tires inflated and it'll be ok lol you'll have more room and stuff but it might be hard to get out of there, but if you have the engine out then it wouldnt be hard to remove

Old 05-16-2006, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

i agree. you might wanna give the tires a little more pressure than normal so they are easier to move, and ride with the windows down...but i dont think youd need them. what kinda man needs hydraulics to turn his car or A/C anyway

Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

power steering= optional, A/C(at least for me)=Must Have!!!! Sorry, say what you want, but in the summer I love cruising around with my windows down and my A/C cranked to max blowing on my feet!!!!! I can't stand sweaty feet(mine sweat immensley!!! plus its just a really nice luxury to have. If your primary goal is as much power as you can eek out of your motor by all means ditch but hey thats your call!!!!

Old 05-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i dont have power steering or ac and its a piece of cake to roll down the window and turn the wheel....

Old 05-16-2006, 07:17 PM
HCF Member

where do you live? not having power steering is not an issue only in parking lots when you are trying to turn out of a spot with something in your hand lol.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:35 PM

Ok if you keep the AC and power steering it lowers your HP... Power steering is over rated sometimes its a pain in the *** BUT you will get usta it. AC takes away from your power just drive around with the windows down it works sometimes but ya know would you rather have power or be cold... Id go for power non of my CRX's have either and neither does my ex's CRX...

Old 05-16-2006, 09:01 PM
mxs
HCF Member

dude, this is your girlfriend's car, right? and you live in california?? don't ditch the AC, she'll just get mad.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:03 AM

well since we live in the bay area, it doesn't get too hot so we normally just drive with the windows down anyways. now i'm leaning towards no power steering, but we're still torn on the a/c. we may just keep it cuz she said it would be nice just to have, u know just in case it does get hot for us. but also since the gas prices are sky-rocketing and using the a/c uses more gas well...do the math.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

keep it. on a power steering rack, its got a faster ratio, and so itll be even harder to turn than a car that didnt come with PS to begin with. Just underdrive the PS so its still there, just not full power. trust me, you get some nice sticky tires, and youre going to hate parking without PS, and AC doesnt take hardly any power when its off, so just dont use it, then when you come up to Sacramento this summer, youll have it when its 110 outside.

PS, if you take the AC off, I want your compressor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: to keep or not to keep....