Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Massive Power loss with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Massive Power loss with A/C on

Testing the A/C: Put interior fan on high. Set air control to fresh not recirculate. Leave the car doors open so it does not get cool inside. Measure the temperature of the air leaving the vent in the center of the dash.

The system should not cycle on and off until the air at the vents is about 40 degrees. That will not happen on a hot day at idle, be satisfied to get 50 or even 60. The condenser fan (on the left side of the car) should run constantly whenever the compressor is engaged.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Just to add to the description of the lack of power. When taking off with the A/C on and I come off the clutch pedal, the entire car starts to shake and continues to shake until i reach about 5mph. If I push the clutch pedal down again, I get a little jerk from the engine when it disengagesbefore it smooths out again. I was thinking it may be an engine mount going bad. Also could this contribute tothe rough idle with A/C on.What do you guys think?

Old 08-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes that's quite possible. Another symptom is a loud thud on start-up from the engine shaking around. Some of the impressive looking aftermarket engine mounts tend to fall apart a lot faster than stock ones too.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
HCF Member

all i know is, my car loses so much power / gas mileage with a/c on that i only use it when im going down the freeway and dont plan on doing any accelerating. its rediculous how much power it sux out of my d16

Old 08-11-2007, 08:49 AM
HCF Member

I lose a good 15hp when my a/c is on. I dont know what it is but every jap car i have driven does that. Ive never had that problem with domestics.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Remmy

I lose a good 15hp when my a/c is on. I dont know what it is but every jap car i have driven does that. Ive never had that problem with domestics.
Ok, just in case what I am experiencing is normal, what is an acceptable response from the car with the A/C on. Because to me mine is unacceptable. The car takes off as if it were in second gear (on flat) and feels like it would stall if i try to move in a hill. Its a real bitch wheni am in traffic.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 PM

I do suggest that you already replace the A/C Compressor based on your description. Denso and Sanden are good brands. Not sure if it available in the USthough. Here in the Philippines, that was a commmon problem for 92-96 models.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 AM

Ok. the mechanic checked out the car and said there was nothing wrong except that i needed engine mounts. Somehow I believe its more than that. I don't want to go back to him as I would like to use this as a learning experience. What I want to know is how many mounts does the D16Y7 with manual transmission carry and if someone can guide me throught the replacement process. I'll be darned if this corrects the problem.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Remmy

lol Remmy u have an turbo si u can afford the 15hp lost, some of us have the D16Y7we cant afford to lose15hp. the car come with like 106 hp and 106-15 is 91. amoped can go faster than my car when i have a/c on. its sad but true

Old 08-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Any advice an my engine mount questions

Quick Reply: Massive Power loss with A/C on