Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

more hp gain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:03 PM
HCF Member
Default more hp gain?

Which give out more hp...camshafts, cam gears, or pistons? Also any recommendations on brands?

Old 07-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: more hp gain?

I'm going to go with cams or high-comp. pistons.

And cam gears won't get you anything on stock cams... they're just used to adjust cam timing, which is pointless unless you have aftermarket cams.

Personally, I'd go with cams (stage II) and a full upgraded valvetrain... that way you can rev into the stratosphere (okay, to maybe 8500, 9k rpm tops) and actually be accomplishing something without destroying your head. Just remember that you need to get the engine tuned if you get cams (well, I don't think you need to tune with stage I cams, but from what I've heard, they wont' gain you much power over stock).

Old 07-05-2008, 04:22 PM
HCF Member

So pistons probably arent the way to go? I was offered b20 low compression pistons and to be honest I didnt know sh*t about how much gains I would see, but cams seem to be more popular

Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Super Cereal Admin

well, low-comp pistons will actually reduce power on a N/A engine, they just allow higher levels of boost to be run, safer. On a N/A motor, you'd want high-comp pistons to gain power (though with anything over 10.5:1 you'll want to run premium gas... a slight downside).

If companies are to be believed, stage II cams are usually good for something like 15hp. Of course, once you get a more aggressive cam, you can get an intake mani and a bigger throttle body to help your engine take advantage of its new ability to gulp down more air (normally, intake manis and tb's won't gain you too much with the stock cam(s)).

Old 07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

Oh alright...I might just be looking more into boosting now instead of dropping at least $500 on cams alone when boosting gets more power and seems more reasonable...Thanks Reaper!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Super Cereal Admin

then you can get turbo-grind cams and make even more power

Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM
HCF Member

Sounds good to me! oh and I've been meaning to ask you how your magnaflow muffler sounds? Ive got a crappy ebay catback and I love the sound of magnaflows, so I decided to save money and save my current 2.5" piping and get a new muffler

Old 07-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Super Cereal Admin

yeah, I replied to it in my FS thread, not sure if you saw it...

I love the way the thing sounds... its about as quiet as stock (the biggest reason I love it... you can barely hear it from the driver's seat), but deeper and throatier at the same time... a much better tone than my old fartpipe

Old 07-05-2008, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

Oh haha sorry I hadnt checked it in a few days...but Im glad to hear it, gives me some ideas for getting rid of my UPS truck sound LOL

Old 07-05-2008, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

And your profile says this user chose not to diclose their profile or something like that...wont let me see any of your pics of homepage

Quick Reply: more hp gain?