Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Need some advice! D16Y8

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Default Need some advice! D16Y8

Hey there, im new to the single cams.... not to cars or hondas really tho. Anyhow, so i just got a 97 civic dx. D16Y8 non vtec. w a bad trans, im replaceing that as we speak....

So my dilema is....

Is the y8 head better or worse than the z6 vtec head/intake i have? Would it be worth swapping or can it be done? I plan on doing the obd2-obd1 harness conv. unless its better to stay obd2 for some reason. Also, end result is prbly mild turbo build. Just a dd with around 200whp would make me happy.

So, lemme know what you guys think!!! Thank you

Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

there is no d16y8 non-vtec, what you have is the d16y7 but no biggie

iirc, the z6 head is better but the y8 mani is better, let someone confirm though

and yes, get a conversion harness and a p28 ecu (p06 if you stay non -vtec)

Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Thank you! Ya, i just went out to look at it. It is a y7 motor. Ive been doing so much research and i must have gotten confussed! lol

Ok, so how would i confirm which vtec head i do have then?? Like a part no. location or something?? Im not familiar w the single cams, my buddy is helping me as much as he can but he has mostly h and b knowledge, learning exp. for both of us! haha

Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by xb2fergie
Thank you! Ya, i just went out to look at it. It is a y7 motor. Ive been doing so much research and i must have gotten confussed! lol

Ok, so how would i confirm which vtec head i do have then?? Like a part no. location or something?? Im not familiar w the single cams, my buddy is helping me as much as he can but he has mostly h and b knowledge, learning exp. for both of us! haha
One thing that can tell if a head is vtec or not is if the spark plugs are on the front.
As far as heads/blocks go, the Y8 has a larger combustion chamber and a larger intake, known as the ITR intake of the D series.
Y8 is OBD2. However, any D series OBD1 distributor will work in place though.
Apparently, ideally, Y7/Y8 block, Z6 head, Y8 intake. Y8 intake is best for tubo setups too I've heard.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by xb2fergie

i "believe" all single cam heads with vtec says vtec on the valve cover. you could also tell by revving to 5k rpm and see if it kicks in lol.

but you have a civic dx, so it should be the d16y7, don't forget, when you switch the y7 to obd1, you have to rewire the 3 wire iacv to two wire and repin the conversion harness at the ecu

edit, or just do a mini-me conversion where you put a z6 or y8 head on your y7 block. i did the y8 head on my y7 block, so i used the y8 engine wiring harness and intake manifold so i didn't have to repin or mess with the iacv wiring

Last edited by theblackpearl; 09-21-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
i "believe" all single cam heads with vtec says vtec on the valve cover.
Just thought I'd say...

^ vtec valve covers

^non vtec cover

Just because it doesn't say vtec, doesn't mean it isn't vtec...

Old 09-22-2010, 03:29 PM

I had the y8 before and the valvecover that says "Honda" is the y8 heads and it's vtec
The z6 says vtec on the cover

Old 09-22-2010, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

Lol, I guess I don't look at the valve cover on my own civic enough, Bleh, f20c is much better to look at anyways

Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

The one on my Y8 swap says 1.6L VTEC
Weird.... hahahaha....

Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM

Hey guys, sorry i dont get to the computer often. Job related stuff. Anyhow.....

I have seen the vtec valve covers both ways. My buddy has a honda book and it said that the y8 valve cover didnt have vtec on it, just honda. But who knows how old that book is or if it is right. i should have pics up here in a few.

Quick Reply: Need some advice! D16Y8