HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   need some torque (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/need-some-torque-1344/)

mxpunk409 10-15-2004 08:18 AM

need some torque

i was wondering if anyone know how i can get some torque outta my automatic. i would like to drop a 5spd in it, but i dont have the time or money. my buddies tell me to get a turbo, but that cost more than a 5spd trans.

Kappa22 12-04-2004 03:23 PM

RE: need some torque

I don't know what you consider a lot of money, but I think you would do well to chuck a 5spd in there. You could get one imported for 200-250 no prob, and you could sell your auto to make up for most of it. Plus, an auto to 5spd conversion is really easy. Also, do a valve adjustment on your car; that will help a lot. A couple things about that: ONLY DO IT WHEN THE CAR IS COLD, and make sure you have a good manual and a good gapper so you don't really deuce things up. Good luck in your torque quest.

andryuha 12-04-2004 07:06 PM

$200-250 for a manual conversion? Damn, now I'm wondering wether I should do it on my older corolla. Have you done it before? If so, is it a direct bolt-on, and is it hard to put in a clutch pedal? I saw the same kind of car that I have in the junkyard earlier this week with a 5spd. What part will I need besides the obvious ones?

andryuha 12-04-2004 07:11 PM

MXPUNK409:

If you are serious about tuning, you should definately convert to a 5spd, because the auto will never be as fast, and you will f*** it up pretty fast with a turbo.

ohbiskits 12-04-2004 09:08 PM

i have an auto tranny in my 91 hatch..soon to have a manual converion...i plan on pickin up the stuff if not a full donor car for the conversion...you need more then just the tranny but yea if you know a little its not bad..id much rather find a cheap donor car so i know definatly where everything goes but we will see...that is my next job after i put the vtec head and y8 intake manifold on...

andryuha 12-05-2004 10:31 AM

Do you know, which parts are needed specifically? From my understanding, I will need a tranny, shifter assembly, clutch and a brake pedal, master and slave cylinders, shifter linkage, and hard lines. Anything else?

ohbiskits 12-05-2004 01:23 PM

not positive on everything but that sounds about right...i will find out for you..unless someone on here beats me to it...

andryuha 12-05-2004 02:57 PM

dude, you're awesome, but after some searching on the internet, I am leaning more toward swapping a Silvertop 4age into my corolla. I might even go further and get a 4GZE, if I could find one (a supercharged version of 4age)

sacicons 12-05-2004 06:34 PM

mmm, 4 age.

mpilic 12-06-2004 12:08 AM

How much would a good manual conversion cost me, and could i do this conversion myself or is it safest to just get it done somewhere else.

andryuha 12-06-2004 08:53 AM

What do you mean by safest? Just use your head. The biggest safety issue is probably a transmission falling on your head, but that's why you will need to use jacks.

StifflersMom 12-07-2004 12:22 AM

What do you mean by safest? Just use your head. The biggest safety issue is probably a transmission falling on your head, but that's why you will need to use jacks.
Actually the biggest danger(as in any job you do under your car) might be the car falling on this poor fella :-D

andryuha 12-07-2004 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Kolhoznik

Actually the biggest danger(as in any job you do under your car) might be the car falling on this poor fella :-D
Well, I assume that he realizes that. To prevent this, I use ramps (those things are extremely handy)

ohbiskits 12-07-2004 03:31 PM

lol i cant get my car up on ramps...lol...i just use jack stands..

andryuha 12-07-2004 05:04 PM

yeah, it's easier when you got an auto, and long ramps. I fell off a couple times.

ohbiskits 12-07-2004 05:39 PM

i hvae an auto...i need longer ramps...my car is to low...

Kappa22 12-07-2004 07:40 PM

Yeah. It's a pain in the ass to have to take your front end off to get off the ground

sacicons 12-07-2004 08:14 PM

Snap-On low lift racing jack, hell yeah. cant fit under my car with a regular one.

ohbiskits 12-07-2004 08:24 PM

lol its funny watchin me jacj the front of my car...i have to lay on the ground and push as hard as i can to lift the car the extra half inch for the jack...lol...and my car isnt even as low as some of the cars around here...i dont know how they do it cuz i scrape on all speed bumps...