Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

New Honda owner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Default New Honda owner.

Hello everyone, as the title says I am a new Honda owner. Just picked me up a '99 Civic EX 5spd about two months ago. I've been into the modding scene for several years but they have all been with Nissans so this is a whole new world to me. So I am going to ask a questn that probably been asked 100 times already but, I have been doing some reading on Vtec since I picked up my car since I didn't know a whole lot about them to begin with and from what I've gathered is any D16 bottom end will work with the correct head and Vtec solenoid right or does the bottom end have to be the same as the head? I am not trying to be a fanboy and think Vtec would make me a god on the track since I know the gains from adding the system would only be there at around 4500rpm. My other question is more important though, since I bought the car I've been having some trouble with my 2nd gear. It'll sometimes pop it self out of gear. Usually it's no problem just to put back it and it's fine but tonight when I was driving home, it popped out three times before it finally grabbed again. What could possibly be causing this? A spoke to a transmission guy a few weeks ago and he had said that maybe it was a problems with the trannt mounts but I never made it into the shop to have him check 'em out for me. Any answers you guys got me for would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.