Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

New and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Default New and need advice

As stated in the title I am new to the site and Honda's in general. I found a 1996 Honda Civic EX with 150k miles and got it for what I consider a steal at $1500, needless to say I bought it. The body is perfect everything power and it all works, new tranny, new clutch decent tires, good to go.

The only problem is the engine is suspect. It has what I would consider to be a top end knock, possibly lifter or rocker arm knock. According to the research I have done the motor is a D16Y8 is there any frequent issues that might explain this sound or what the engine is doing? What should I replace immediately to keep from having a serious problem? I have read about several different motors having a bottom end knock that is usually a spun bearing, is this a known problem for my model engine?

Also if I have to pull the engine and rebuild it what kind of $$$ am I looking at to rebuild it to stock or just above stock power applications. This car is strictly a work vehicle so i don't have to drive my diesel truck 50+ miles to work.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

Whao Whao slow down, there's no need to talk about rebuilding your engine yet. Top end knock is no big deal. You probably just need to adjust your valves. Anyone can do it.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:19 PM
March 2010 ROTM

If its coming from the head, its most likely just the valve lash needing adjustment.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rmpge15
Whao Whao slow down, there's no need to talk about rebuilding your engine yet. Top end knock is no big deal. You probably just need to adjust your valves. Anyone can do it.
I hope I don't have to do a complete rebuild but I always like to plan for the worst that way things can't help but be better. Now my question is how to go about adjusting the valves. I have alot of experience (15+ years) with OHV V-8 racing engines but little to no experience with OHC or DOHC enignes. Is there anything that I should know before attempting to do this myself? I have a copy of the Honda Service manual on my laptop so I plan to familiarize myself with the process before Tuesday when I pick up the car. But if any of you have any pointers on what to do/not to do I would appreciate the info.

Thanks again for the help and please don't hesitate to dumb it down so a noob can understand.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:11 PM
March 2010 ROTM

If you have the manual and any mechanical abilities, youll be fine.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 AM
HCF Member

Yeah i would start with valve lash adjustment. You'll need a valve lash tool which you can pick up at any auto parts store, a flat head and a 10 mm wrench. All you have to do to get to them is remove the valve cover. There are plenty DIY online about it. The recommended lash should be found under your hood somewhere. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update on my engine knock.

I lashed the motor today and everything was very close to spec. I adjusted all the intake rocker arms to .008 and all of the exhaust arms to .010. The noise didn't go away so I am leaning more toward the noise being bottom end related. Here is a video on youtube that sounds very much like my engine does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sbi9E9vRNY

So I am going to try to pull the pan and look over the rods and rod bearings next weekend.

If I have to rebuild the engine (hopefully not but I need to get an idea of what I am going to spend) what is a ball park price for a rebuild with stock components? I have found rebuild kits for $350 but if anyone knows a better deal please let me know.

Thanks for the help,

Justin

Edit:

Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM

Update and need help again.

I ended up having to get the motor rebuilt because there were 2 set of rod bearings laying in the oil pan. I got the motor back and installed in and then had a reverse idler gear go bad in the tranny. Luckily the guy I bought the car from gave me another transmission that he had for the car with the intention of swaping out when he thought the knocking sound was a transmission problem instead of an engine problem. So after battling a check engine light for a week or two (damn knock sensors) I get the car up and running and everything is good.

Fast forward 3 days later I am running down the interstate at 70-75 mph varying my speed to keep the engine from staying in the same rpm range to let the motor break in, I get on it to pass a car and sudenly the engine has no power. I figured maybe a plug wire has come off (oh please, Oh please, oh please) but alas the engine starts a dreaded knock again. Long story short (too late I know) i drain the oil and onceagain this engine has spun a rod bearing. So I know have to remove the engine again and give it back to my mechanic to be rebuilt (again). He is paying for the build out of his pocket but I still have to do the R&R.

My question is are there any oil pumps that flow more oil than the stock pump or do these companies like toga just make this stuff up. I have read that the biggest problem with these motors (D16Y8) is a below average oiling system. And in over 15 years of working on race engines and farm equipment the only time I have ever heard of a bearing spinning is on an engine with a less than adeduate oiling flow. If anyone else has any tips on keeping this from happening again please let me know. I do not have time to constantly pull the engine out of this car and I am quickly loosing my patience, I bought this car because I trusted that hondas were reliable cars but so far this particular car (NOT THE BRAND, please don't flame me) has been nothing but trouble.

Thanks to any/all who can give me some help with this problem.

Justin

Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Chubby Chaser

ive heard about some people shimming the oil pump. when you had the motor redone
did you get a new crank or have the old one turned?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 AM

I reground the original and used it again.

Quick Reply: New and need advice