Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

NEWBIE QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Default NEWBIE QUESTION

hey, great site. thanks. i am a toyota tundra guy. who just purchased a civic hatch 1996 dx. third car . the wife has an 04' lx. im just curious . question for you guru's? is it normal for a 96 with only 48000 mi. to ping like it is heat expansion sound after you shut it down. or is it something i should be concerned with. doesn't show any leakage of fuids (anti-freeze ). temp always running cool. but pings like hell when i shut it off ! what do you think ? possible problem . hope im just paranoid ! lol . also is there any fix for the window roll up ****, these seem to suck ! keeps popping out of track ! other wise love this little hatch. its amazing ,an man i can get use to the mpg's real fast after getting abot 13mpg with the tundy. thanks would appreciate the replies in advance. blitz.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Default RE: NEWBIE QUESTION

maybe one of you mods would be so cool as to move this over to the trouble shooting side . id be apprecitive. ty blitz

Old 04-27-2006, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

ive got a 97 4dr and it sits and pings after i get out of it. also work at local honda dealer as tech its nothing to worry about metal pings when it cools down

Old 04-27-2006, 06:51 PM

CIVICBLEND97 , thanks thats what i was wanting to hear. are the heads aluminum on the civics ? also, i just had a water pump and timing belt service . is it uncommon to smell anti-freeze for a while after a major service ?

Old 04-27-2006, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

probably just got a little coolant spill on the refill, just rinse the engine bay out, it should go awaqy, if you still smell coolant, id take it back.. aluminum heads? yes..

Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 PM

thanks i was curious about the heads , also wondering what would a blown head gasket symptoms be ?
ORIGINAL: jwsimons

probably just got a little coolant spill on the refill, just rinse the engine bay out, it should go awaqy, if you still smell coolant, id take it back.. aluminum heads? yes..

Old 04-28-2006, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

I hope these help you out. You have a good question that I havent seen before.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:28 AM
HCF Member

symptoms..... oil resembling a milkshake.... overheating...... are a couple.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:10 AM

i'm sorta stumped . its been over a week and i'm still smell the ever unpleasant smell of anti-freeze. no leaks what so ever. the car as i mentioned before had new timing belt and waterpump done . radiator flush. i am not seeing a rise in the thermastat. no over heating. what could it be causing the smell ? im certain there is no left over ( fluid ) in the engine bay from the service. i also drove the car over 150 miles in the rain to bring it home the day i picked it up . no problems . smelled it the minute i got out at home. again no over heating ! the dealer told me the same as you advised. probably just some spillage , it will go away!

Old 04-29-2006, 06:17 AM

i'll recheck the oil today and let you know. should i be able to tell by just checking the dip stick ? or would this require a full change? i just had it changed 250 mi ago .

Quick Reply: NEWBIE QUESTION