Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Piston question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Default Piston question

Ok so since I've pretty much exhausted my bolt-on options my next thought (after a lil cosmetic upgrade) was bottom end components (doing this before top end bc I am shooting for a specific comp. ratio which will have to be achieve by milling the head when I get it p&p'd) so I did happen to find a site that sells Wiseco pistons for the D17. My question is will the stock rods be able to handle the new forged pistons and a higher comp ratio? The pistons are flat top and claim to raise the comp. ratio to 10.8 - 11.1 range. This won't happen till next spring or summer but I'd like to get some opinions and mull it over, over the winter.

Thanks,
Chim

Old 06-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Default RE: Piston question

I would say go get a set of eagle rods or something just for the durability aspect also for the insurance of it. They dont cost that much and when you are throwing money at pistions and want to do the top end to you dont want to bust a rod and throw it threw the block or into the head bending your valves wrecking your new pistons or any of the other. Eagle rods are only like $275-$350 depending on where you get them. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

eagle H beams...or (if you can afford/find them) some carillo I beams.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:09 PM

From my searching for rods, the only company I've found so far that makes D17 specific rods are Crower and a set is about 800...

Old 06-02-2006, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

If you are changing the pistons anyway you might as well do the rods at the same time. It would be really silly to rip the bottom end apart once just to have to do it again later when you do snap a rod( notice I didn't say if!! JK!) But yeah, why waste the time pulling everything apart and not do it right the first time!

Old 06-02-2006, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

A very cost effective way to get around new rods is to get your stockers shotpeened. It's a process that will increase the strength of your rods by around 100% and pretty much any automotive machine shop should be able to do it. The shop by my house told me they would do it for 5 bucks per.

I know that the stock D16's are good to ~ 200Hp and/or 7500rpm. I am not sure about the D17's though.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:26 PM

Ok so the Crower's run about $700, the pistons would be $460 plus rings which I believe would be $80 for a set (but I need to double check that). Plus the pistons aren't coated, so that would cost more if I get it done (which would prolly be in my best interest). So I'm looking at about $1200-1400, add in an oil pump(if necessary) and we are talking $1400-1600. Thats about the price of an AEM EMS. I'm just not gonna be able to come up with that kinda cash by the spring; especially since I still have the Y8 conversion to pay off, I'm trying to get Tokico HPs and the matching Corbeau passenger seat by Christmas which is gonna run $800 ( hopefully I can get one of the two as a present).

Anyway I recall reading a post from Street not too long ago saying he got new JE pistons, but no mention of rods so I was wondering if it would hold up till I could get the rods, I only drive th 'vic in the summer...

Old 06-04-2006, 12:00 PM
HCF Member

Wouldn't it be wiser to install the pistons and connecting rods at the same time? You will pretty much have to do double the labor.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:33 PM
HCF Member

shotpeen your stock rods. they should hold 10.5-11:1 cr if you get it done.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:39 PM

I have to see how things go this summer, but perhaps I'll get them shotpeened in the spring and the following winter I'll get the rods.

Quick Reply: Piston question