Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Default quick question

I don't use my A/c and on other cars i know if you take the compressor and lines off it gives you a pretty good drop in weight and puts less resistance on the motor. I just started tuning my civic and was wondering if anyone had heard of doing this on a civic and if anyone knew what was needed.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Default RE: quick question

AC removal is commonly done on Civics. All races Civics will remove it, and many street turbo set ups will remove it for clearance issues. I only keep mine because my environment requires it (fogs bad). Wish I could help lay out the process for ya, but I've never attempted it.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:12 PM
HCF Member

just take all a/c stuff off. first you have to release the pressure on the a/c lines. there's a little cap and under it is a nipple. press it down w/ something long until there is no more pressure. take the compressor off, a/c belt, a/c lines. becareful when you remove the lines. freon will ooze out.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: HARI.
just take all a/c stuff off. first you have to release the pressure on the a/c lines. there's a little cap and under it is a nipple. press it down w/ something long until there is no more pressure. take the compressor off, a/c belt, a/c lines.
Sorry, as far a I know, it's illegal in many states
I mean not taking a/c off, of course, I mean discharging it this way.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

why is it illegal? it's your choice whether to have a/c or not. besides everything is illegal anyways. motor swaps etc, etc. and who's gonna know? do it in your driveway, or backyard.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 PM
HCF Member

If you know it’s illegal and still discharge it this way, you are making free informed choice, and you are not surprised when police come because your neighbor videotaped the whole process and called 911.

If seriously, there are a lot of things that are illegal, and I don’t care about them because don’t think they are reasonable. In this case I do think there is a reason for this method being illegal, it is to protect our common shared environment, which we jointly managed to spoil way above any reasonable limit during previous couple of centuries.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM

I totally removed my ac for clearance issues, and yes misha is right, while i was venting the freon, i tried to look up the ac system in my haynes manual and in big bold print "It is a federal offense to vent any refrigerant into the atmosphere". I just said screw it, the popo have got better things to do here in the ATL than bust people venting freon. Anyways, i just used the valve off of one of those recharging cans you can buy at an auto store, and instead of having the can on the end, i just put a 5ft piece of fuel line. Just cranked it down till it opened the low pressure valve and psssss.....vented about 5ft from the car and me. Took about 5min to clear the lines. After that, i suggest removing the main line that come out of the compressor and runs across the top of the condensor. After that, remove the actual compressor, then the condensor/fan as a unit, then move on to the remaining lines. You will have to take out your battery and its mount to get to the lines going into the firewall. Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Misha

If you know it’s illegal and still discharge it this way, you are making free informed choice, and you are not surprised when police come because your neighbor videotaped the whole process and called 911.

If seriously, there are a lot of things that are illegal, and I don’t care about them because don’t think they are reasonable. In this case I do think there is a reason for this method being illegal, it is to protect our common shared environment, which we jointly managed to spoil way above any reasonable limit during previous couple of centuries.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

You don't, I do. When you get older, you might as well start to care, too

Old 11-14-2006, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: HARI.

ORIGINAL: Misha

hahahahah

Quick Reply: quick question