Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

R18 in the non-Si 2006's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Default R18 in the non-Si 2006's?

Hi all,

Anyone else with the new 8th gen / 06 Civic? I know the new Si gets the K20 engine but what's the 1.8 L SOHC that goes into the other trim levels? Is it the R18? Just want to know so I know what to watch for in terms of aftermarket mods.

Thanks,
Jas

Old 01-02-2006, 07:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: R18 in the non-Si 2006's?

Civic Sedan and Coupe Powertrain
The Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe benefit from a new generation of Honda engine technology that provides performance similar to a 2.0-liter engine and fuel economy similar to a 1.5-liter engine. The new engine offers significantly improved low rpm torque and top end power. A new 5-speed automatic transmission (available) extracts this extra power to its fullest potential. Additional new Civic technology includes a drive-by-wire throttle control and a dual-stage air intake manifold.
For 2006, all Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe models are powered by a Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) 1.8-liter inline four-cylinder design with 16 valves, a new version of i-VTEC, and a dual-stage intake manifold. The engine produces 140 horsepower @ 6300 rpm (up from 127 horsepower at 6300 rpm, EX trim level), 128 lb-ft. of torque at 4300 rpm (up from 114 lb-ft. @ 4800 rpm, EX trim level) and an estimated EPA city/highway fuel economy of 30/40 miles per gallon (up from 29/38 miles per gallon on LX with automatic transmission). Emissions in all 50 states are rated as ULEV-2, an improvement from the ULEV-1 emission standard on the 2005 model. The engine performance differences are even greater when compared the 2005 Civic's LX and DX trim levels that produced 115 horsepower @ 6100 rpm and 110 lb-ft. of torque @ 4500 rpm.

Civic Powertrain At-A-Glance Engine

High rigidity aluminum block with low friction internal components
i-VTEC "intelligent" valve control system
Composite dual stage intake manifold
Drive-by-wire throttle control
Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
Emissions / Fuel Economy
Estimated EPA fuel of 30/40 city/highway (automatic transmission)
Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle-2 (LEV-2)
Transmissions
Standard 5-speed manual transmission
Available 5-speed automatic transmission

To achieve more performance and more fuel economy, the Civic's 1.8-liter i-VTEC engine uses an innovative and new valve control timing to minimize pumping losses during cruising and low engine load situations, an important factor in creating more efficient engines. Pumping losses are lowered when the variable valve timing allows an intake valve to remain open for a brief time period as the piston begins its compression stroke. By keeping an intake valve open during part of the compression stroke, some of the volume of unburned air/fuel mixture in the cylinder moves back inside the intake manifold and lowers the volume being compressed, or "pumped."
The pumping loss reduction yields enhanced fuel economy similar to an engine with a smaller displacement (the equivalent of a 1.5-liter engine) during cruising.

During cruising or other stable, low-load driving conditions, the new engine utilizes a dedicated set of cams to close one of the intake valves and retard that valve's timing, exerting backpressure on the air-fuel mixture.

This reduces the actual intake air volume. Meanwhile, the throttle is opened wider to provide optimum control over engine output. Opening the throttle valve, in other words, widening the path that the air flows through – reduces pumping losses to result in a significant improvement in engine efficiency.

During high load situations, the VTEC system provides high output valve timing for maximum power. Gone is the normal valve timing, replaced by two fundamentally greater extremes. A dual-stage air intake, a lightweight powertrain and optimized gearing further add to the performance character of the vehicle.

Whereas traditional VTEC operation changes valve opening duration based on higher oil pressure during high rpm operation at one side of the valvetrain's rocker arms, the Civic's i-VTEC system can switch valve timing duration at low rpm and low oil pressure using two hydraulic actuators on both sides of the intake rocker arm. This engagement method is similar to that used on the Civic Hybrid, Accord Hybrid and Odyssey i-VTEC systems.

This Civic's i-VTEC valve timing reacts to driving conditions related to throttle opening, vehicle speed, engine rpm and gear selection. A sophisticated drive-by-wire throttle control, air flow meter and dual-stage air intake allow the Engine Control Unit (ECU) to create seamless transitions between the two modes of engine operation.

The new R18 should be great for us single cam fans.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:10 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: R18 in the non-Si 2006's?

Hey, welcome to the forum. This doesn't belong in the review section though, I'm sure someone will be along to move it. Next time try to post in a more apropriate section of the forum. Enjoy your stay at HCF.