Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Default Spark plugs

I have a 97 honda ex and want to put newer spark plugs in it, I heard that if you put too big of plugs in there that you will evenutally put a hole in your cylinder I found some nice ones on ebay apc 92-00 9.3mm perform spark plug wires.Is that low enough or do I need to go even lower to be on the safe side...

Old 11-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Default RE: Spark plugs

Huh? Are you talking about "plugs" or "plug wires"?

Because 9.3mm spark plug wires won't damage your engine at all, they'll just give you a bigger spark.

BTW, your cylinders are already "one big hole". I think you should stop listening to whoever gave you all that info.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:57 AM
HCF Member

you know...size isnt all that matters when it comes to spark plugs. in fact, F1 cars' spark plugs are an inch long and smaller around than ur pinky, and they have no ground prong. theres metal surrounding around the other prong. (they cant have a prong sticking out cuz it will get hit by the piston, talk about crazy CRs)

Old 11-27-2005, 12:15 PM

Yeh, I'm just wondering what 97exhonda is actually talking about because first he says "spark plug size" then he says "9.3mm plug wires".

Old 11-27-2005, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

unless your running a lot of mods -- you'll never know--stick with name brands ---i would use ngk plugs

btw----apc plug wires????---whats this world comming to[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]---bet ya they come with a sticker

Old 11-27-2005, 03:00 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

Yeh, I'm just wondering what 97exhonda is actually talking about because first he says "spark plug size" then he says "9.3mm plug wires".
yeah i hear what you're saying. im just answering the 'i hear if you put too big a plug in you will get a hole in your cylinder' (im assuming he ment cylinder WALL) and saying that size doesnt neccessarily add power to your car

Old 11-27-2005, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny
im just answering the 'i hear if you put too big a plug in you will get a hole in your cylinder' (im assuming he ment cylinder WALL)
Even if a plug is too long, it won't put a hole in your cylinder wall, but it will put a hole in your piston.

Old 11-27-2005, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

I thought that plugs only came in one lenght.

Old 11-27-2005, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness
I thought that plugs only came in one lenght.
On the contrary, grasshopper..........plugs can come in many lengths.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:10 PM

Yea, use a name brand plug. I also recommend NGK V-power plugs. You don't need platinum plugs in these cars. In fact you will get a hotter spark with a copper plug. The size of the wire will not determine power exactly. The bigger the wire is, the stronger the spark, and the better the burn. In short (if that is possible) bigger wires = less unburned fuel wasted in the exhaust. Make sense?
Maybe he meant that if you put a plug that was too long in the block, it could pop a hole in the top of the cylinder some how?? Don't know, whatever!

Nick

Quick Reply: Spark plugs