Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

spark plugs & wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 07:19 PM
HCF Member
Default spark plugs & wires

My civic has 58,000 miles on it, and I have owned it sence it had 40,000 miles on it. I havn't changed the spark plugs yet and thought it would be a good time to change them. Do I need to change the rotor, cap, wires, too though. If so what brands should I go with, thanks.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: spark plugs & wires

Need to, no. Good idea, definitely. I would at least change the wires along with the plugs.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:26 AM
HCF Member

Remove the distributor cap and make a visual inspection of the metal points inside the cap and the rotor's contact point. They usually wear down together so replace them both if they look worn.
If you have a multi-meter, you can test the resistance of the spark plug wires. If they exceed 30,000 ohms, replace them.
You can clean and/or regap your spark plugs instead of replacing them.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

Alright thanx guys, I am going to by some NGK plugs, but what brand of wires (size), cap and rotor (if needed) should I buy. I don't want to break the bank, just some decent name brand stuff is good.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: slvcivic00

Alright thanx guys, I am going to by some NGK plugs, but what brand of wires (size), cap and rotor (if needed) should I buy. I don't want to break the bank, just some decent name brand stuff is good.
You probably don't need new wires with your mileage. Any brand is ok, NGK is the OEM version. You'll want to get the wires that go with your make/model/engine. The sizes you see for different brands is the width of the insulation, not the width of the wire core.

Any brand cap and rotor will do, just make sure you get the right ones for your make/model/engine. Take a look at the distributor cap and rotor. Sometimes, Honda installed two different distributors for the same model and engine.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

Alright, thanx rit14623 and Forty04!

Old 04-12-2006, 08:35 PM

Dude if you really want to "tune" up your car and get all the good stuff go with an MSD distributor cap! They are really cool clear red and you can see the sparks! and thaen if you have an extra 125$ layin' around get a set of MSD 10mm wires or for about 50$ you can get A set of 8.5mm Accel wires. Then get iridium plugs or Bosch 2 platinum plugs. There in not a Hi-per rotor as far as I know but the other upgrades do just Fine. You can also check into an MSD Blaster 2 coil or equivalent. Good luck. Oh and if you havce any trouble with the work I am sure that someone here will be glad to help.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

I will only run NGK plugs and wires. Thats just me though. Thats what honda recommended.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:07 PM

That's all good but they recommend them cuz they own them
ORIGINAL: Pete

I will only run NGK plugs and wires. Thats just me though. Thats what honda recommended.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:14 PM
HCF Member

I will probably run NGK plugs and wires, but as far as the cap and rotor I'm not sure, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to do a simple tune up. Maybe like $60-70 for everything. Plus spending all this money on a tune up for a mildly modified single cam is not worth it (in my mind).

Quick Reply: spark plugs & wires