Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Stock engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Default RE: Stock engine

i have beatin 2 actually...i mean you could be right that both of them were not racing i just thought they were...but im pretty sure i know when someone is goin or not..anywho this was mainly about needing help and advice on modifying my car not to critsize it. i thought thats what forums were for.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:12 PM

basically, if your car is not multi port fuel injection - you need to convert it. look it up in the search function. after that is done get yourself a new engine, like a d16a6 for a non-vtec, or a d16z6 or d16y8 for a vtec (a d series engine will just bolt in your car, no need for a mount kit like other engines). these will all bolt in and are relitively cheap. rebuilt the bottom end with forged connecting rods, and forged low compression pistons. have the head cleaned up by resurfaceing it and new seals and valve job (if you have money a port and polish would be ideal). build yourself a turbo kit using a good size turbo and a nice manifold and a good size front mount intercooler. then get it all assembled and install it into your car.

now when it is in your car dont drive it!!! you need to tune it first.

if you stay obd0 you need a mpfi ecu and chip it to run turboedit, then get it dyno tuned, you could boost about 16 psi for the street and over 20 for the strip (psi is all relative to the size turbo and setup you are running)

if you go obd1 then you can get things like hondata or crome and do a dyno tune with those, or take you car to Jeff Evans in PA and have him tune your car, and you could make awsome power.

but without going with a fully built engine, then anything over 250 hp is not relialbe for the street.

or if you have a lot of money buy a k20a from a rsx type s and build that and put it in your car.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ef4life

basically, if your car is not multi port fuel injection - you need to convert it. look it up in the search function. after that is done get yourself a new engine, like a d16a6 for a non-vtec, or a d16z6 or d16y8 for a vtec (a d series engine will just bolt in your car, no need for a mount kit like other engines). these will all bolt in and are relitively cheap. rebuilt the bottom end with forged connecting rods, and forged low compression pistons. have the head cleaned up by resurfaceing it and new seals and valve job (if you have money a port and polish would be ideal). build yourself a turbo kit using a good size turbo and a nice manifold and a good size front mount intercooler. then get it all assembled and install it into your car.

now when it is in your car dont drive it!!! you need to tune it first.

if you stay obd0 you need a mpfi ecu and chip it to run turboedit, then get it dyno tuned, you could boost about 16 psi for the street and over 20 for the strip (psi is all relative to the size turbo and setup you are running)

if you go obd1 then you can get things like hondata or crome and do a dyno tune with those, or take you car to Jeff Evans in PA and have him tune your car, and you could make awsome power.

but without going with a fully built engine, then anything over 250 hp is not relialbe for the street.

or if you have a lot of money buy a k20a from a rsx type s and build that and put it in your car.
well see im stickin withstock engine.....

Old 09-13-2006, 09:26 PM

why? then what will your drive while you build it? a long block of one of those d's will cost anywhere from 100 - 500 dollars and will have more parts availiblility than a d15 (unless you have a d16 already)

your looking at about 2500 dollars for a engine build (just parts) and turbo setup doing everything yourself, and fabrication of exhaust and intercooler pipeing

Old 09-13-2006, 09:31 PM

why? then what will your drive while you build it? a long block of one of those d's will cost anywhere from 100 - 500 dollars and will have more parts availiblility than a d15 (unless you have a d16 already)

your looking at about 2500 dollars for a engine build (just parts) and turbo setup doing everything yourself, and fabrication of exhaust and intercooler pipeing
yeh i have a d16y7

Old 09-13-2006, 09:39 PM

sorry to inform you but a d16y7 is not even the stock engine, and to make any real power out of a y7 block you still need a d16y8 or d16z6 head, and then you need to add vtec.

the stock engine in your car should be a d15b2 with dpfi.

its your car, i am just trying to help you out here. building an engine capable of over 300 hp is gonna take time, you need to strip it down, get it machined if needed, wait for parts, reassemlbe it, wait for more parts, finish putting it together, put the turbo on, fabricate parts, then chip the ecu and get it tuned before you can really drive it anywhere safely.

building up a separte engine from the one that is in your car will be easier on you because you will actually still have a car to drive to autozone or a honda dealer when you realize you need oil or some stupid part that you didn't plan for.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 PM

Without port and polish the Z6 head would do ya better.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:48 AM

sorry to inform you but a d16y7 is not even the stock engine, and to make any real power out of a y7 block you still need a d16y8 or d16z6 head, and then you need to add vtec.

its your car, i am just trying to help you out here. building an engine capable of over 300 hp is gonna take time, you need to strip it down, get it machined if needed, wait for parts, reassemlbe it, wait for more parts, finish putting it together, put the turbo on, fabricate parts, then chip the ecu and get it tuned before you can really drive it anywhere safely.

building up a separte engine from the one that is in your car will be easier on you because you will actually still have a car to drive to autozone or a honda dealer when you realize you need oil or some stupid part that you didn't plan for.
idk but every "info" page about my car says that my stock engine is a d16y7...and so what your saying is i should get an engine set it aside build it then whenits ready put it in my car

Old 09-14-2006, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: bordox

idk but every "info" page about my car says that my stock engine is a d16y7...and so what your saying is i should get an engine set it aside build it then whenits ready put it in my car
and i just looked at my engine block and d16y7 is stamped ont here[8D]

Old 09-14-2006, 04:35 PM

my bad, i though it read a 90 civic, not a 98, you do have a d16y7.