Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Stock sleeves question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Cat Fuсker
Default Stock sleeves question...

So I've got a dilema...I could either a: get a new block, sleeve it and build the crap outa it...or b: I can get the sleeves in the y7 bored and honed, get pistons, rings and rods...basically rebuild the motor...and than I want to boost the sucker. I'm just shaky about running over 10psi on stock sleeves...overbored stock sleeves that is...

Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Stock sleeves question...

Why are you shaky about running boost on stock sleeves, the last pinks episode with the fullrace civic had a built D16Z6 with stock sleeves posting 450+whp numbers. The whole "you gotta sleeve it" bs has been conjured up by the aftermarket. Unless you plan on running over 500whp on the street they are un-needed.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Cat Fuсker

WHat I'm saying is, there's almost 200K on the clock, the sleeves WILL be overbored...I just want around 250whp in the end of the project

Old 04-11-2006, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

if you are going to bore it you might as well get good aftermarket sleeves. any idea who you're going to get the block done by?

honestly if you just want 250whp you dont need to bore/stroke it. the torque gain is mild. how much are you planning on boring it?

Old 04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Cat Fuсker

I have to bore it because it's in absolutely horrible shape...I'll bore the least amount that I can

Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

I wouldn't think that for 250HP you would need new sleeves, but if you have the cash and your willing to spend it, it can't hurt. If anything you could run more boost and get even bigger gains. Either way you are gonna want to get forged pistons and rods so you can get to 250HP. I think that you should bore it b/c if you get new pistons, you will have to have the block machined anyway so you might as well get some torque gains while your at it.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Cat Fuсker

I want a car right now, and if I decide to put it off until I have enough to do it all at once I'l have to drive a 200K miled lx

Old 04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
HCF Member

Man sleeves are not needed at all is what I am saying. overbore it if needed but I doubt it will need more than being honed. 250whp is nothing at all, that can, has, and will be in the future attained by stock blocked D series. The only thing I would worry about at those levels are the rods which if tuned correctly will not be a factor. You getting sleeves for 250whp is like me getting racing seats and a roll cage......total overkill.

I would not invest in sleeves unless it was a track only car or something I planned to make gobs of power with, like well over 500whp.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Cat Fuсker

So I'd be fine If I just did rods and pistons, and bored and honed the block? Any suggestions on the head side?

Old 04-11-2006, 11:05 AM
HCF Member

Y7 head?

Really on the single cam's all you need to do is port/polish the exhaust ports, port the intake ports(do not ever polish the intake ports on a head) and get a cam for your application. The Y7 has no cam made for it but you can get delta to regrind a cam for you to what ever specs you need, on the Y8's and Z6's I advise a AKMEE Type S cam and head upgrade package.

Quick Reply: Stock sleeves question...