Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Swap a 98 LX or get a new car?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Default Swap a 98 LX or get a new car?

Okay, has anyone ever swapped a D16y7 for something better? Like put a B18C2 or something like that? (If I got motor numbers wrong, I'm still learning) I'm trying to decide if I want to keep this little car I have stock, or put something to make it a little faster in, or just buy a different car entirely. I noticed the 98 LX's weight is nearly a thousand pounds heavier than a EX coupe. Am I just wasting my time with thinking about a swap or what? If I keep the car the way it is, I am going to get it back up to speed cosmetically and sell it later to get a faster Civic.

Opinions please.

EDIT: Ok, here's what. I might be stuck with this Civic for another year. Its a daily driver, It has over 220,000 on it but is flawless mechanically. I would like something a faster, not a race-car, mind you but something that isn't so painfully slow. I will be driving over 80 miles a day after whatever I decide is done. I have kids, so keeping this would be best but a coupe is not out of the question. I also think that doing a swap in this civic would be a good learning experience, even if I do not keep it afterwards. But as before, I could use some wisdom and or experience.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 AM
HCF Member

You can put a d16y8 head on to add vtec, bringing you closer to 130hp.

B series swaps are pretty easy in this chassis. Google EK b series FAQ and you'll probably find what you need.

If racecar, H22 swap.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM

Right, I know they are easy for this chassis, I'm asking if I'm wasting my time by wanting to put a B series in it. I've got the idea that I am going to piece together a B18C2 Engine piece by piece over a year. That way I can have each and every part worked over and have whatever I want done, done to it. I would like to know (as a guy that's always wanted to build his own engine but never had the opportunity) is there any reading I need to do? My step-dad owns a huge stinking shop, and the guy's been working on cars since they were drawn by horses. Not to mention he has more than a few mechanics that are hot rodders, not to mention a 20+ year hookup with salvage yards. OK, well, back to the point. I'm actually wanting to get this engine pieced together. I found bare blocks for $200 bucks (B18C2) Now the plan is to get each component, have it rebuilt, and put it together. At the end of 2013, stick my car in the shop and do a swap. I really want to do it right the first time. Trying not to get off topic here, and moderators forgive me for that, but I wanted to reach the right audience with the right wisdom and know how I am looking for.

One last question... I've googled this probably at LEAST 30-40 times... how common is is to see a 4dr with a motor swap?

Before I get shutdown, I'm gonna go look again and make sure there is no engine build FAQ somewhere.

Last edited by GFica; 01-21-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM

Do you mean B18c5?

There are **** loads of sedans with swaps. My Integra sedan is swapped. You can't ask google a question where the answer is based on an opinion. The word "common" is a reference to what one person believes it to be. For example, "common" to me means, everyone and their mother is doing it like getting gas.

Why not just save and get a full B18c5 engine from a place like H-motorsonline? Less of a headache even though it might cost more.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 PM

I did not know that you could buy complete motors. That would make it a lot easier. Sorry, I tried to pack a lot of questions into a tiny space. But yes, I was probably wrong on the c5 part. I was looking at wikipedia's entry for the B18 series. Still learning all of it. I just don't want to have to go back and re-do something, know what I mean? I mean, if I'm saving up all of this cash to do this swap on this civic, I don't want to have to go back and re-do something. I know its unavoidable in some sense... I guess I'm just being a perfectionist?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 AM

I just checked out that website you mentioned. It has me excited about all this. I can't tell you how many years I've wanted to tinker with my own vehicles but haven't had the money. At least this stuff is relatively cheap! I have a question. Since the B18 LS and GSR are both the same block, is there a way to buy a cheaper LS and convert it to a GSR block?

And one last question, how many man hours am I looking at for work doing the actual swap if I have everything I need on hand?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 AM

Either go Type R (c5) GSR (c1), or go LS (b1). Don't bother with converting anything.

By yourself, I would guess 8 hours. But that is a random off the wall number I threw out there.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM

That's cool. I can almost walk to the jail (work) so if my car is down for an extended period, not a big deal. Do you think that the extra 1,000lbs the 4 door is pulling around should be considered in what I select? I guess in the year after I do the actual swap I would be putting together a turbo or supercharger kit for it. It's even crossed my mind to make a show car (but that's just a distant thought). I really appreciate you guys' input, it makes a big difference to me. I've searched all over google for questions before I bring them here. And to confirm, if I do a B18 swap, I CAN keep AC and power steering? Its hot as heck in Oklahoma during the summer. (I did find two references that said you could use a bracket off of a crx or a Civic Si)

Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by GFica
That's cool. I can almost walk to the jail (work) so if my car is down for an extended period, not a big deal. Do you think that the extra 1,000lbs the 4 door is pulling around should be considered in what I select? I guess in the year after I do the actual swap I would be putting together a turbo or supercharger kit for it. It's even crossed my mind to make a show car (but that's just a distant thought). I really appreciate you guys' input, it makes a big difference to me. I've searched all over google for questions before I bring them here. And to confirm, if I do a B18 swap, I CAN keep AC and power steering? Its hot as heck in Oklahoma during the summer. (I did find two references that said you could use a bracket off of a crx or a Civic Si)
The 1998 4 door LX does not weight 1000 lb more than the 1998 2 door EX. In fact the 2 door is heavier than the 4 door.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by BurningRubber
The 1998 4 door LX does not weight 1000 lb more than the 1998 2 door EX. In fact the 2 door is heavier than the 4 door.
I must have pulled information from the wrong place, then. I thought the 4 door averaged 6,000lbs or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swap a 98 LX or get a new car?