Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Swap v. Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Swap v. Build

It's been a while since I posted, and I have been doing a lot of soul searching.

My D16Y7 has about 105k miles on it, and I am also trying to give my ride a little more power. I've read up on swap/mini-me, and I have a quick question. For the amount of money it takes to buy a complete B18C swap, couldn't I make a pretty beastly D? I really like my D series, and my only reason for swapping would be miles. How many more miles can I get out of my engine if I build it up?

So I guess it boils down to: How much power can I get by investing 4k in my D vs a total swap? and would my D have many more miles left in it?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Swap v. Build

screw a mini me, buy a aftermarket intake manifold and a turbo kit for it, then pay to have someone tune it. For the amount invested you would get alot more hp but mainly you would get a tone more torque.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:59 PM
HCF Member

Cool, Cool. Torque > hp, after all.

Do you have any recommendations as far as intake manis go? Oh yes and I forgot to mention I'm not looking to spend 4k, but that would be how much a swap would run me, plus expenses which I am sure would happen.

In what order should I upgrade? I have suspension on the top of my list, but as far as engine goes? My guess would be intake mani, header/exhaust, cams, valve springs, pistons, followed by turbo. Sound reasonable? After which parts will I need to re-tune, and which ones can I do at the same time?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 AM
HCF Member

Ya go with the D! Im begining to think that DOHC VTEC swaps are so you can pop the hood and show people your "JDM" engine, or cool Dual cams or just making insane power. A little turbo D is a great, powerfull engine that costs less.

Intakes, well there are lots, Venom may be the best imo, then Skunk2 or edelbrock. Now if you plan on going turbo you should get a nice big exhaust and dont worry about a header cause you wont use one with a turbo. Cam you may have to get tuned, im not sure. Pistons you should get when you have the turbo and make sure they are low compression (8.5:1).

Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

i have an edelbrock performerX intake mani if you want that

Old 11-06-2007, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

Actually guys, I'm looking at a B18B now... makes similar TQ numbers as the B18C, but doesn't have vtec. It's like 600 dollars for the engine alone. I will need to buy trans separately.

On a side note, if I swap an engine, can I use the same axels and CV joint I have now, or do I need to buy all new crap? I will be buying a new trans for sure.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:58 PM
HCF Member

youll neesd the engine, trans, shift linkage, mounts, axles, ecu, harness

Old 11-06-2007, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

Ok, I found a complete kit at hmotorsonline for 2200 plus shipping, best deal I could find, since I don't want to go through the headache of pieceing crap together from a bunch of suppliers. The other reason I was looking at the B18B was its lower compression. Want to leave my options open for the future, if I can generate enough cash to afford a turbo.

Thanks for all you guy's input. The rigors of making the y7 go fast proved to be too much for me. If the power I want can be had for cheaper by swapping, so be it.

I'll keep the engine for sure though, maybe someday when I'm rich and famous I'll make The Little D that Could.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

Cool, but too late, there are as many "little D's that can" as B16s

Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

Well hey, it's not a contest! lol

And its a B18, FYI. Not a big fan of the B16

Quick Reply: Swap v. Build