Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

swaps older than year of your veh

Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 AM
raz
HCF Member
Default swaps older than year of your veh

Just wanna know why these are illegal.
I have an em2 and the k20 swap is crazy expensive! and If i wanted to put a b18 or something like that I hear that its illegal due to it being older than my veh.

The thing is if i did something like that what trouble would I run into. Im not in CALI so I dont have to worry about cops as much..

Would I have trouble passing emissions?
What About DMV would i have trouble there?

Irt would be much more practical if I could swap an older engine in the car. Let me know guys!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 AM
raz
HCF Member
Default RE: swaps older than year of your veh

BUMP

Old 02-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

the newer the vehicle the strickter the smog regulations are, they dont want you putting a more poluting engine from say a 94 obd1 gsr into a civic thats 02+. couldnt really tell ya on the trouble that you would get into. you could always use a k24 bottom with a k20 top end for about 2500-3000 installed perhaps if you find the right people and parts

Old 02-02-2008, 11:56 AM

i agree with emissions.

and it wont pass the sight check. not sure about the emissions check, depends on the engine.

and as for trouble...i guess if you get pulled over for street racing they'll look under your hood and if they see it then they may impound your car...
but im no expert, so im not sure.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
HCF Member

You may want to research the emissions laws for your particular state (your DMV website), and call the state DMV if you can't get any definitive answers online. IF there are laws against it in your state, then I doubt you could pass smog when you register your vehicle. Smog checks are mandatory every few years (in CA) before you can get your next registration, so you'd get noticed eventually. I was under the impression that California was the only state with such restrictions, but I could definitely be wrong about that.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:44 AM
HCF Member

A larger problem also is that a b-series is not a bolt on swap for the 7th gens. By the time you make custom mounts and axles and do all the wiring and fabrication, you're going to be well over the cost of a K swap (to my knowledge, no one has even done a b/d series (ex. D17 of course) swap into one). It's K or nothing as far as realistic swap goes.